wall plugs . max load

Old 04-06-06, 09:22 AM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
wall plugs . max load

Hi,

Does anyone know what the recommended maximum load you can apply to drywall wall plugs?

I want to hang a heavy mirror and thought i'd better find out if it is likely to stay on the wall!!!!

cheers
Andy

Old 04-06-06, 09:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It would be better to hang it off of a stud, would hate for it to crash to the floor

Toggle bolts hold more than those plastic anchors which hold better than just screwing to the rock. As for your question - I don't know but attaching to a stud is best for anything with weight.

Old 04-06-06, 10:52 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd never put more than ten pounds on a plastic anchor.Even then I'd distribute the weight over two anchors if possible.Plastic anchors can also become loose in the drywall regardless of the weight on it.An alternative to toggle bolts are what is commonly referred to as a "molly bolt" or sometimes just hollow wall anchor.these require a smaller hole and in some cases less effort to install while still supporting substancial amounts of weight.Qualified help at a hardware store can help you to install wall anchors properly and pick out what you need for the job.Avoid big box stores.

Old 04-06-06, 06:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You could use EZ-Anchor-90's to hang your stuff with. It has a vertical sheer strength of 90 lbs. Hanging it from a stud is always best, but I have had superior luck with these babies when hanging paintings or mirrors that I don't want falling. They are available at your local big box or hardware stores.

Old 04-06-06, 08:03 PM
OudeVanDagen
Visiting Guest
Andy:

In the fastener industry there are basically two types of plastic drywall plugs. The first type is regular, the second type is ribbed. Generally speaking and excluding proprierty products regular plugs are commonly available in four lengths: 3/4" for #6&8 screws, 7/8" for #8&10 screws, 1" for #10&12 screws and 1 1/4" for #14&16 screws; and ribbed plugs are available in three lengths: 3/4" for #4,6&8 screws, 1" for #8&10 screws and 1 1/4" for #12&14 screws.

It is important to consider other issues besides the weight of the object when selecting a drywall plug. A) Ribbed plugs have much greater resistance to pullout than regular. B) The thickness of the drywall for example is also an important key because every plug has three sections; a point of sorts, an expanding or split body, and a collar. It's important to choose a plug that has a collar the same as or close to the thickness of the drywall. A plug with a 1/2" collar for example will not perform well in 1/4" drywall. C) That said it is very important to also understand that there are very many manufacturers, and many cheaply made inferior imported products, that vary greatly in resistance to pullout - even though they may very closely resemble each other. It's very, very important to read the back of the package or read the PDS (Product Data Sheet) in the box for the strengths and always stay away from plugs that are packaged without this information.

OVD

Old 04-07-06, 05:43 AM
Andy Beet
Visiting Guest
thanks guys.
This helps a lot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: