Replacing Patio Door Wheels

Old 04-11-06, 12:19 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Patio Door Wheels

Hi, Don't know where to start this thread but it's hardware related.

I need to replace the roller wheels in 3 sets of patio doors. These are Aluminum framed and heavy. I have started to remove one set ( removed the anchor screw ) and figured they would pry or pop out easily. But the entire lower part of the frame is also coming out .. is this Normal. These are older doors and I don't want to wreck anything as they are in great shape.

The bottom is also seperating from the lower part of the glass. Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks.
G.A.P

Old 04-11-06, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may have removed one of the extrusion screws. After taking the door down, look up into the bottom cavity. There should be one, maybe two, screws that secure the wheel assembly to the bottom extrusion. The assembly should slide out with minimal prying, sort of like a cartridge. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the unit out. It sounds as if you may have missed a screw on the cartridge if the extrusion is separating. The new ones, which I assume you have already on hand, will install just as easily. Once the door is replaced in the opening, you will note a hole at the bottom leading edge of the door on each end. This is an adjustment hole and a slender phillips head driver inserted into the screw will adjust the door up or down to levelness and plumbness. This may have been more info than you wanted, but it was free. Post back if we can help further.

Old 04-11-06, 03:39 PM
W
All in control.

Hi Larry, thanks for your response. After some future investigation, I was on the right path. Do need to remove the bottom part of the frame, the assembly will then be accessible for the replacement..

Need to do this first as there are many styles of cartridges - its and older model - probably 20 + years. Did find a site where I can order one, but will look at our closest HomeD, which is 60 miles from us. Ordering one from the states will take 3 weeks (customs and all that stuff). We're up in western Alberta.

Will post a messsage after completion, Have a good one.

Glenn.

Old 04-11-06, 08:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Glenn: Good luck with your doors, and look forward to your post, regardless of the result.

Old 04-30-06, 07:45 PM
W
Smile All Done

HI, finally got the wheel cartridges. Purchased enough (12) to do all doors since there are 3 double sets, inside, outside for the enclosed breezway/sunroom. Only difference was the original had 2 anchor holes (only one used) and the replacements have 1. Alignment was Ok.

Thanks again,

I'll probably have other Q's in the short future.

Glenn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: