Best way to keep bolt from loosening...

Old 05-28-06, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to keep bolt from loosening...

Hi,

I have a camera tripod head that I am attaching to a bicycle to take pictures while I'm riding. So far the setup worked well, except the bolt going into the camera loosens after riding for a while - the road vibration loosens it. I don't want to use something like loctite to keep the bolt from loosening - makes it difficult to remove in case of rain, theft prevention, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep that bolt in place?? Is a particular type of lock washer recommended?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-06, 10:12 AM
You could make or buy a rubber washer. This would tighten down but keep a pressure on the nut all the time. A washer for sinks may work and you can drill a bigger hole in it if necessary. Good luck.

Old 05-28-06, 10:48 AM
There are different grades of loctite available. Some are made for joints that will be disassembled. Loctite 222 works well for small bolts. If you don't want to use loctite and the bolt is less than 1/4", try nail polish.

Old 05-28-06, 12:17 PM
The ideas in the previous posts are good ones.However if you prefer a metal lock washer I suggest a "toothed" lockwasher....it looks like a gear or "the sun"....these are more likely to do what you are looking for.That said rubber or specific types of Locktite would likely work.Note that when looking for any washer that the bolt on your tripod is most likely metric.