Chain..

Old 05-28-06, 07:27 PM
Chain..

Hi. New to the forum here, and I'm torn weather to post this here or in security. I have a motorcycle that I lock up. Now I use a chain by Kryptonite. At the time this chain was 4'3" and it cost around 100 bucks with lock. As I think about this, I'm curious why this chain costs so much. What is this chain made of?

It would be great to find a similar material chain in longer lengths from a direct supplier. Any thoughts on what and where they get this stuff? They say it's a treated link.. What does that mean?

What's the hardest chain to cut?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-06, 06:08 PM
WGW
Greetings JC
A Lockshop I once worked for sold the Kryptonite line in three different precut lengths as well as custom cut at what ever length the customer needed.
I'm not sure what exactly it's made of but it's strength is pretty impressive. A hacksaw with a brand new blade will barely scratch it, and 4' long bolt cutters will hardly leave a mark. When we'd cut a custom length, we'd use a grinder to get through it.
Admittedly it's not cheap, but you can rest assured that your bike is about as protected from theft as it can get short of parking it in your living room.
Suppliers usually don't sell to the public because it would undercut their volume buyer for a "one time sale" and that is bad for business on the whole.

"A treated link"? That's a new one on me as I've never heard that term used.

Kryptonite chain is about as hard a chain as I've come across.
With buying chain of that calibre, you want to be sure the lock you buy with it is equally as tough as that then becomes the weak link. There are padlocks made with Kryptonite shackles in both medium duty and a high security line and of varying shackle thickness.

Regards

Old 05-29-06, 06:30 PM
Thanks.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm glad to hear a positive response to their chains. I was wondering if it was just hype or not. One hears all of these gone in 60 seconds claims.

I've lost faith in the kryptonite locks and switched to onguard since their last series of locks was easily picked with a bic pen. Key technology has changed since then, maybe it's just an emotional reaction. But none the less it's scary.

Now I use a chain with a large link on the end so it acts like a noose, I'd love to find the same thing in a 7ft length. But all I find out there is 4'3"... Any thoughts on finding custom lengths like you mention?

Old 06-02-06, 06:31 PM
WGW
Sorry for the slow response, but work sometimes gets in the way of the rest of my life.
The Lockshop I mentioned I once worked for was in Toronto Canada (a city of over 3 million people).
Though the phone directory there contained 23 pages of advertised Locksmiths, only one stocked "Kryptonite" chain in bulk as well as the prepackaged/premeasured lengths.
I'd suggest saving some leg work and phone around to your local Locksmith stores as well as the big box stores. Even if they don't carry it in bulk, they might be able to direct you to one who does if you ask.

Regards

Old 06-08-06, 08:55 AM
I had occasion to e-mail Kryptonite a couple of days ago asking about the length of their chains, and they replied that the longest that they sell is 5'6".

Old 06-08-06, 09:38 AM
Maybe

Maybe it's different in Canada. I always thought 5'6" was such a strange length. 6ft with a noose end would be nice. Maybe there is a limitation due to the length vs force required to break it?

Old 06-08-06, 06:15 PM
WGW
Like JCphotog said, it might be different in Canada.
It used to come in a white plastic pail. I can't remember exactly how long it started out as, but I once cut a piece 20' for a guy wanting to secure his boat trailer and ATV to a tree in a remote location.

Old 06-20-06, 11:36 AM
The hardest and strongest chain available on the market today is known as Herc-Alloy.

Most navy's use it for their anchors on their boats.

It is very expensive at about $45 per foot.

It cannot be cut with bolt cutters and is angle grinder resistant.

Oxy cutting would take about 20 minutes on the heavy grade chain.

However a rod saw would get through it easily....but finding rod saws these days can be difficult