Good place to buy 3 inch torx?

Old 06-07-06, 06:14 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good place to buy 3 inch torx?

I've looked the net, but can't find anything that is even remotely as "cheap" as what I am paying right now, which is almost 20 dollars a 5 pound box. I'm needing indoor and outdoor variety. They are zinc plated I do believe. Anyone help me? Thanks.

Old 06-07-06, 06:53 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ozzfavors
I've looked the net, but can't find anything that is even remotely as "cheap" as what I am paying right now, which is almost 20 dollars a 5 pound box. I'm needing indoor and outdoor variety. They are zinc plated I do believe. Anyone help me? Thanks.

What do you mean by " 3 inch torx"? 3 inches long perhaps? what is the bolt size (1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and so on and the thread pitch)

and why do they need to be "torx"?

Old 06-07-06, 06:55 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
because where I work, we prefer to use the torx screw. Type 17, I forgot to mention that. And yes, 3 inches long. I wish I had the box next to me of the brand we usually get. I've only seen it at one store, but it far exceeds any screw we have ever used, and we go through a lot of screws. We are just trying to find a cheaper place to get them, that's all.

And there isn't a bolt size, it's a torx drive, I believe they use the T25 bit, possibly T20, but I'd go with T25. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-07-06, 09:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 846 Votes on 775 Posts
$4 per pound is as cheap as I've ever seen them. I wish I could find me a partner in Taiwan to send me a shipload of them. We could both retire on the profits.

Old 06-07-06, 10:26 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ozzfavors
because where I work, we prefer to use the torx screw. Type 17, I forgot to mention that. And yes, 3 inches long. I wish I had the box next to me of the brand we usually get. I've only seen it at one store, but it far exceeds any screw we have ever used, and we go through a lot of screws. We are just trying to find a cheaper place to get them, that's all.

And there isn't a bolt size, it's a torx drive, I believe they use the T25 bit, possibly T20, but I'd go with T25. Thanks for the help.
Yes there is a size. The "shaft" is a determinate size and it has a defined thread pitch. I am not speaking of the driver size e.g. t20 etc. but the actual shaft spec.

Now the thing here is a "type 17" is a screw, not a bolt. It hss a self threading wood screw tip but that still does not give a size. screws are dimensioned as a #8, #10 ,#12, etc.
The next thing, is what type of head does it have e.g. cabinet, flat, round ,bugle.

The material. Like I had said before, apparently this is not critical.But for that price, they are obvioulsy not stainless steel.

Not trying to be nasty but if you want somebody to help you, you need to give all the pertinenet info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: