Concrete Anchors

Old 06-27-06, 08:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Anchors

I have a big piece of equipment I need to secure to my concrete floor. I need to use the concrete anchors that involve a bolt due to how heavy this unit is (I can't use concrete screws).

I am having trouble getting the anchor to grab at the bottom oof the hole. I have tried an anchor sleve as it is called by Home Depot and there is another I get there that is a bolt with some loose metal parts at the bottom that will grab when the bolt is tightened. As I mentioned, I can't get these to grab. I just drilled a 1/2 inch diameter hole about 3 inches down and that was it, I put the anchor in and nothing will grab.

Is there a trick I am missing? I must be doing something wrong.

Joe

Old 06-27-06, 10:57 AM
D
Simpson make an epoxy system where you epoxy the bolt into the concrete. See http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalogs/C-SAS-2006/C-SAS-2006-p037.pdf

They sell this at HD, in small packages. Look for the Simpson Tie-down products.

Good Luck.

DWC

Old 06-27-06, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have been having great success with WedgeBolts, especially in monoliths. Same could hold true in your floor. Very aggressive thread, and superior holding power.

Old 06-28-06, 08:18 AM
D
Yep. I used wedge bolts 5/8" x 10" in my workshop tie-down. They do work very well. The post by Joe led me to believe that he already tried them. If not, that would also be my first choice.

DWC

Old 06-28-06, 08:37 AM
J
Yeah, I've already tried wedge bolts and they aren't working well. I think the adhesive will work, going to go by a store today to see if I can find it.

Thanks,

Old 06-28-06, 08:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I know it sounds like a marketing ploy, but you have to use the Wedgebolt bit in order to get a good fit with the Wedgebolt.

Old 06-29-06, 07:38 AM
D
Let us know what finally works for you.

Old 06-30-06, 07:40 AM
J
I ended up going with the epoxy that dwcurry suggested. This was the easiest method and the only thing I had to watch for was to make sure the holes I drilled were clean (used a bottle brush to clean them). I had a hard time, as you know, when trying to anchor the concrete anchors.

The epoxy seems to have worked well, set up in about 30 min and I am going to leave it alone for a week or so before I tighten the bolts.

Thanks for all the responses on this, they did help.

Old 08-07-06, 02:14 PM
R
Sounds good.. I am going to use that to secure my air compressor to the concrete garage floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: