Stripped Screw Underwater

Old 07-16-06, 06:02 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Stripped Screw Underwater

Tried to change the pool light today and the screw that holds the light into the wall is now stripped. Can't really use the normal method of a drill to remove the screw since it's under water. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-06, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure what type pool light you have, but do the instructions allow for removal while filled with water? Most of the ones I have seen have to be changed dry, or the water will fill the well where the light was. Although the light is only 12 volts or so, putting it back in a hole filled with water won't make it dry. Just thinking out loud.

Old 07-16-06, 09:58 PM
G
My understanding is that you can unscrew the one screw and then pull the whole waterproof fixture out of the pool as there is enough cord to allow you to get it to the pool deck and then change the light and re-install. The problem is that the one screw that needs to be removed before I can pull the fixture out of the water is the one that's stripped. I can't put a drill down there and I would really prefer not to drain the pool.

Old 07-23-06, 08:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
You could try a very small punch or chisel (sharp) and hammer. Hold the punch/chisel at an angle at the outter edge of the screw head and tap in the correct direction. This is very risky in a plastic fixture since you have to hit hard enough to make a dent in the fastener for the punch/chisel to grab, so it is very easy to do some damage if you are not careful.

Old 07-23-06, 04:01 PM
T
there is a screw removal tool that looks much like a drill bit called an "easy out", it is designed to remove stripped screws without the proper screw driver bit. If you can find this bit you maybe able to use a tapping tool instead of a drill to remove the screw.

Old 07-23-06, 08:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Auto body drill and compressor. Of course you will have to dry and relube the drill once you are through.

Old 07-28-06, 06:43 AM
T
also if you can get the screw out enough to vise-grips on it that would work to.

Old 08-01-06, 11:52 AM
Is there any reason that you cannot use an "egg beater" type drill to drill out the hole underwater?

Old 08-03-06, 07:08 AM
T
Originally Posted by gkbaumg
Tried to change the pool light today and the screw that holds the light into the wall is now stripped. Can't really use the normal method of a drill to remove the screw since it's under water. Any ideas?

Thanks.
What's stripped? Is it the screw head - or the threads in the hole (allowing it to be turned but won't back out of the hole)

If it's the hole/thread combination - I usually try to find a way to get a flat blade screwdriver between the head of the screw and the surface in question. Then I apply a twisting pressure on the blade while lightly turning the screw head - I find that if I can get it to start coming out - even just a bit - it usually "bites" after a couple of turns and continues to come out of the hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: