ideas wanted: fastening DIY whiteboard

Old 08-19-06, 06:12 AM
ideas wanted: fastening DIY whiteboard

as are many, I am a frequent browser and first time poster. thanks to all for their work on a very helpful site.

ok, short background on project: i am going to use 4X8 Tile Board to make a DIY whiteboard to amass information for my PhD comprehensive exams.

As we philosophy students are not always known for our handiwork, i thought i would come to get some suggestions.

b/ I have limited space I want to create a moutning unit (no jr high jokes please) on which I can hang/afix the boards. I want to be able to put 6-8 of the boards (1/8" i believe) on one unit and be able to shift which is seen/accessible. (clear as mud?)

My idea at this point is to have a 4' 2X4 with 3" bolts coming out of it at approx. 3" in on either side. I would then drill my white boards so that they can slip onto these bolts. I would then fasten the whiteboards to the bolts with a butterfly nut. whatever I am working on at any certain point I could have exposed, while the other boards are neatly hidden behind. (this is clear in my mind- do you follow?)

I think I would also need a 2X4 about 1' up form the bottom to provide some back pressure to write against (and perhaps one half way as well.

so, all of that to say- any ideas? different ways to do this? pics etc?

and is there a better forum for this? couldn't decide the proper place...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-06, 01:35 PM
Boards

I would suggest a top and bottom track installed at a comfortable height to hold the boards. The track would consist of a slot for each board and the length would be twice the width of the boards. (8 feet if the boards are vertical or 16 feet if the boards are horizontal). Simply slide the board you need out from amongst the other boards. This way you do not have to move all the boards if the one you need is the one in the back of the stack.

Old 08-19-06, 01:46 PM
puller:
this is a great idea... the space I have is a bit strange in my attic. the space I hope to use is about 6' wide, not leaving enough room for this. BUT, i will certainly consider it if i can reform my space.

would ypu use just slots or would you put the boards on some sort of rolling device?

thanks for the reply.

Old 08-19-06, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you can figure a way to install pocket door trolleys to the boards and install 4 or so pocket door rails in succession on a top frame (probably 2x6), you could create a smooth running alternately visible set of slides.

Old 08-20-06, 11:58 AM
White board

I agree with Chandler. Rollers on an upper track would be easiest to operate and have the least amount of wear.