subfloor screws

Old 08-21-06, 07:40 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool subfloor screws

The plans for my house call out for 10d common nails for fastening 5/8" T&G plywood subfloor to joists @ 6" O.C. edges, 12" O.C. field. I prefer to switch that to screws. What would be the equivalent screw for this job? Additionally, what are the general guidelines for using screws, attached through wood, in place of nails? (I will also use screws for hanging 5/8" drywall).

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-06, 02:02 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Subfloor

I would stick with the nails and also use construction adhesive.
It is a little bit messy, but much faster.
I would use 3/4" subfloor material.
If you go with screws for the subfloor, use 2.5", no. 8.

Old 08-29-06, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I second Wirepuller's nail response. Screws take a long time. If you must, however, I have found a new ceramic coated screw with a T-25 torx head (each box comes with a bit). These things will burn up a cordless drill as they will not slip. Anyone want a slightly used Dewalt drill with a burned out motor? Just kidding, I did burn it up, though. You can hear it scream just before it dies.

Old 08-29-06, 08:29 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you are concerned about movement of the subfloor, use a construction adhesive and 8d ring shanked nails.

Old 08-30-06, 06:12 AM
U
As the other guys said - 3/4" T&G, construction adhesive, and 8d ring shank nails (you can get those for a framing nailer - fast, easy, and strong). They will work well for your roof sheathing too, when you get there.

Screws are fine for your sheetrock.

Old 08-30-06, 09:10 AM
G
Thanks for the coments, all of you. I will definitely heed the reccommendations of Wirepuller and Ubob to use 3/4" subfloor with adhesive. Meanwhile, I looked on the Senco website and found screws designed for securing plywood to wood. They are square drive, yellow zinc, and range from 1-1/2" to 3". I calculate I will have to drive 3000 of them, necessitating the use of a collated screwdriver. Still, this is slower than the pneumatic nailgun. I expect the screws to cost more, too. I would stick with the nails if they can ensure there will never be any squeaks. Wayne - do the ring shank nails naturally eliminate squeaking when used with construction adhesive? I see the Senco also makes ring shank nails for their pneumatic nailers.

Old 08-30-06, 09:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
This is your home and you're the one who's going to be living there - if you want screws in the floor, so be it. My in-laws built a lake home a couple years ago and the floors were glued and nailed, but I spent four days driving screws as well and you could feel the difference when you walked on it after I was done.

Old 08-30-06, 11:23 PM
G
The difference you speak of, Mitch - screws instead of nails makes for a quieter floor, right? That's what I am after in spending the extra time and money on screws. I heard about it some time ago but I didn't know someone that could confirm it. Thanks.

Old 08-31-06, 05:44 AM
U
The key component here in making a strong quiet (non-squeaking) floor is the adhesive.

Old 08-31-06, 05:54 AM
S
I used screws

FYI-I live in a stilt house in Florida. It had 3/4" T&G plywood and I wanted to tile the place. I glued and screwed 1/4" plywood down before installing the tile. 12 years and the grout hasn't cracked anywhere.

Old 09-04-06, 07:55 AM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Glue and nails

The nails simply serve to hold the subfloor in place while the glue is drying. The subfloor will not squeak if you apply a continuous bead of glue on top of every joist.

You still have to apply the finished floor correctly to completely avoid squeaks.

Old 09-04-06, 05:18 PM
G
I will definitely use subfloor adhesive. Thanks.