Tracking for drawers

Old 08-29-06, 08:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tracking for drawers

I have some some drawers throughout my house (in the bathroom for example) that have no tracking to hold them in place. Therefore, they are constantly falling out.

I'm wondering if it is possible to install tracking underneath the existing drawers - or perhaps do something else to hold these in place when opening

Old 08-29-06, 10:19 AM
U
Lots of places (big box hardware) sell drawer slides that can be installed on your drawers - depending mostly on the way your drawers are constructed, and the available room alongside, or under the drawers. Most of them have some sort of stop.

If your drawers are sliding well enough to suit you (sounds like very easy), you might just install blocks to keep them from coming all the way out. One way to do this would be to make a wooden block that you could screw to the back of each drawer, that extends above the drawer enough to keep it from clearing the opening. For example, for a 4" deep drawer you could make a 5" block (assuming you have 1" clearance above the drawer - except at the opening). To install them, you could slide a drawer most of the way out, then tip the block into the opening and stand it up on the inside at the back of the drawer and attach it with a couple of screws near the bottom of the block.

As the drawer is opened, the block meets the back of the face frame, and the drawer stops. If you really need to take the drawer out later, you slide it most of the way out, then remove the screws.

You might also be able to add blocks to both sides of a drawer on the outside to serve the same purpose. Access to install/remove the blocks might be a problem with side blocks.

Old 08-29-06, 04:10 PM
B
Ubob,

thanks for the suggestion - i hadn't thought of anything like blocks - i think that might work well

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: