2" Backset doorknob

Old 09-14-06, 09:18 PM
Thumbs up 2" Backset doorknob

I have not been able to find a replacement for a broken doorknob for use on an door to the outside (backyard). I discovered that the standard backset is 2-3/8". I went to five hardware/home improvement stores today and one locksmith and they all showed sympathy for my predicament, but none could help. My house was built in 1950, and all the doorknobs in the original house have a 2-3/8" backset. An addition was built in 1985 and that's the place with the unusual hardware. Any suggestions? I live in Burbank, California.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-06, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by nero
I have not been able to find a replacement for a broken doorknob for use on an door to the outside (backyard). I discovered that the standard backset is 2-3/8". I went to five hardware/home improvement stores today and one locksmith and they all showed sympathy for my predicament, but none could help. My house was built in 1950, and all the doorknobs in the original house have a 2-3/8" backset. An addition was built in 1985 and that's the place with the unusual hardware. Any suggestions? I live in Burbank, California.
Hi nero,

This is a toughy, as the industry standard has made the shift to a minimum backset of 2 3/8". The only thing I know of is made by a company named OMNIA. They still have narrow backset locks. Here's a link: http://www.omniaindustries.com/latchsets.html Go here, select your style if it's there, and follow links to the info on that style. There probably are other brands out there, as Omnia is not too popularly known in some parts of the country. Hope this helps.

cuedude

Old 09-15-06, 05:53 AM
You might find what you want here:

http://www.harfordlocksmith.com/2inchbacksetlocks.htm

Old 09-15-06, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by George
You might find what you want here:

http://www.harfordlocksmith.com/2inchbacksetlocks.htm
Hi George,

Good call here. I bookmarked it myself. Tons of old antique furnature here, and it's really hard to find these items. Thanks.

cuedude

Old 09-15-06, 06:00 PM
WGW
As an alternative to the 2"BS, if the rose (the trim plate that sits against the door) is large enough, you might get away with redrilling your door to 2 3/8" and be able to cover the complete cutout. This has saved my bacon on a few jobs.

Regards