Drywall w/concrete underneath. Fastener Dilemma

Old 09-18-06, 06:30 PM
Unhappy Drywall w/concrete underneath. Fastener Dilemma

Hi All,

I am attaching some light weight faux wood beams. I have to attach small 2x4 blocks to the wall/ceiling then attach the actual beam to the blocks.
My problem is that behind my 1/2 inch drywall there is a 1/2 inch space and then a concrete wall. I can't seem to find an appropriate hollow wall anchor. I have to be able to go thru the 2 inch wood block, the 1/2 inch drywall, then I only have a 1/2 inch space for any kind of toggle bolt to open up. This has seemed impossible. Is there something anyone knows of to use? I was thinking I would just use 4" concrete screws to drill straight into the outer concrete wall.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-06, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Use a ramset (powder actuated) nailer with 2 1/2" pin and yellow cartridges. Nailer can be purchased for about $25. First drill a 3/4" hole 1/2" deep with a spade bit into your 2x4's wherever you plan on driving a pin. This will give you enough depth for the pin to grab.

Old 09-18-06, 06:51 PM
Drywall w/concrete underneath. Fastener Dilemma

To avoid having a gap or crushed sheetrock under the blocks, you can carefully cut through the sheetrock and attach the block directly at a countersunk hole to the concrete with a ramset or a Tapcon. A ramset requires specialized equipment requires a drill and a Tapcon or masonry drill bit.

Dick

Old 09-19-06, 05:19 AM
Since I don't know how your sheetrock is attached to the concrete - and I assume it must be somewhere, I would avoid cutting it, and as Dick suggested, avoid crushing it against the concrete. Either Tapcons or small diameter sleeve anchors drilled into the concrete should give you enough support for your 2x4s and faux beams. Just don't drive them tight enough to damage the sheetrock (snug, but not enough to distort or damage).

Old 09-19-06, 05:51 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies. I don't have experience attaching things to concrete and now I know what to look for, so you've all been very helpful. Much appreciated!!