Hanging a hook on drywall - does it have to be on a stud?

Old 09-28-06, 08:04 AM
Hanging a hook on drywall - does it have to be on a stud?

I want to hang a hook to support about 5 lbs on drywall. Not sure of drywall thickness but it's pretty thin.

Do I have to make sure to fasten the screw on a stud, or can I use a plastic anchor (the kind that expands in the wall) anywhere along the wall? Or, do I need something else entirely?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-06, 08:34 AM
Wink

The big box stores have all kinds of set up for what you want. Have you seen the new hook to use for this it looks like a loop of wire is all makes a very small hole in the drywall, Will hold 50 lb. You can take it out if you want.

ED

Old 09-29-06, 08:59 AM
Thanks ED!

I went down to Lowe's and they do have a dizzying selection! Pretty user-friendly too. Everything is color-coded for the type of wall/weight of the object, and the package even says what drill bit to use.

The diagram in the store showed the fasteners attached to a thin panel. They all have some sort of mechanism that springs open or expands once they are inserted. I assume that means they do not have to be used on a stud, but can go anywhere along the wall.

I am painting a wall - first time ever for that, too! - so I can experiment a bit and then spackle over it. Maybe I will even "accidentally" hit right on a stud, LOL!

Old 09-29-06, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Falconress
...Maybe I will even "accidentally" hit right on a stud, LOL!
Just a note: If you are using an anchor that calls for pre-drilling a hole in the sheetrock, drill slowly - if you do hit a stud, stop drilling - you can use a regular screw or nail in that location, and chances are your expandable anchor won't work in the stud since it won't have any space to expand into.

Old 09-29-06, 10:27 AM
Thanks - that's great advice. I did try "tapping" the wall but couldn't feel a difference, and it didn't seem worthwhile to buy a stud finder for this one silly little job.

I will go slowly around the area where the electrical outlet is located because I understand that this is probably mounted on one of the studs.

Last edited by Falconress; 09-29-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-29-06, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
The big box stores have all kinds of set up for what you want. Have you seen the new hook to use for this it looks like a loop of wire is all makes a very small hole in the drywall, Will hold 50 lb. You can take it out if you want.

ED
those things are great , just work them through the wall and your done , take them out and you have a hole the size of a pencil lead to fill.

they are doing infomercials for them and they say they can hold 150 lbs . I bought a pack at home depot awhile back and it says 35 lbs.