Ikea drawer removal

Old 10-17-06, 08:41 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ikea drawer removal

I cannot figure out how to remove drawers from a standard MALM Ikea chest of drawers. What is the trick? I know I removed them in the past, but I can't just pull them out, and I cannot find anything to release them. This seems really stupid of me, but the Ikea site has no information, and I figured somebody might know. I'll call Ikea if nobody knows, but I figure that is going to be work. help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-06, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The latest IKEA challenge I encountered had a small screw on the inside of each side of the drawer near the front. Once you unscrewed that screw (which holds the drawer to its glide) you can then pull the drawer straight out towards you, off the glide. It was/is a tight fit, but thats how that one (of 8) drawers came off.
Not sure if you have the same setup.....!!
Good luck...!

Old 10-18-06, 08:23 PM
K
Smile you are right

Thanks very much. I put these things together 10 years ago, changed a drawer a few years ago, and just could not remember hor, nor figure it out. Maybe this is old age creeping up on me. But the drawer bottom had been dropping out, and then when I pulled it out the glides fell apart and the ball bearings went flying. I at least swapped in a good set of equipment to my daughter's dresser. My copy of the same thing, with all the bad parts, is awfully rickety now. I guess I'm pretty cheap, but it's just drawers, and I'd rather not hassle over getting anything else. Maybe just a few more years.

Old 03-16-09, 11:09 AM
G
Incidentally, on my drawers anyway, the slide stays mounted but the drawer lifts up off of the slide and then you pull the drawer toward you. You may need to remove screws from the slide going into the front of the drawer in order to lift it as is mentioned above.

Old 07-15-09, 03:00 PM
D
READ BEFORE REMOVING: Darn ball bearings

So the screw solution worked on my drawers too, but if you just pull the drawer out afterwards the ball bearings from the sliding mechanism come flying out. So if instead you hold both off the rails that were directly screwed onto the drawer in place (i.e. with the rest of the mechanism) and slide the drawer (just the wood part) out. That way the ball bearings and the rest of the mechanism stay intact. Word internet peeps. DUBAR out!