Stripped screw on refrigerator

Old 10-29-06, 12:34 PM
Angry Stripped screw on refrigerator

I am transferring the direction the doors open on my daughter's refrigerator and came upon a screw (not rusted) that absolutely will not budge. All the other gazillion screws came out with no problem using my drill.

Now the problem is a stripped screw and I don't know how the heck to get it out. I've also broken two manual screwdrivers in the process.

Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 04:26 PM
what is stripped, the head, or the threads ?

if the head = use a dremel and grind a slot for a regular screwdriver.
if the threads = use a pair of "end cutters" under the head, and turn the screw.

Old 10-29-06, 05:28 PM
The head is stripped...the screw wouldn't budge, neither by drill nor manual screw driver.

I don't know what a "dremel" is but I will definitely look into it.

Thanks for responding.

Old 10-29-06, 05:38 PM
google dremel. handy tool.

also, this
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000723.php

but, is the screw really needed ? if not, just grind the head off, remove the part, and grind the stud flat.

Old 10-30-06, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Spray some liquid wrench down into the threads before you attempt to remove it again. Obviously the threads are siezed, and you need all the head possible to remove it, but the threads must release first. If the head protrudes above the surface, use a set of vice grips or end cutters to grip the head and twist. I know it is elementary, but make sure you are twisting the correct way. Sometimes when you or your work is inverted, you tend to turn the heads incorrectly.

Old 10-30-06, 06:04 PM
when i get a REALLY difficult to loosen fastener. i will actually "tighten" it. this will break the "set" the fastener has taken, and nearly always it will take a lot less effort to remove the offender.
this sounds odd, but it WORKS.

Old 10-31-06, 03:32 AM
screw extracting tool

There are tools known as "Easy Outs," obtainable at HD, auto parts stores, etc. They come in a range of sizes. After drilling a hole in the face of the screw, the easyout is inserted, gripping the screw, and turned CCW to remove screw.

Old 11-01-06, 08:35 AM
Resolved yet?

If not, any way you can share a photo of it?

You might be able to grind off the part of the screw's head that's holding whatever is underneath, then remove the thing being held, and then grab the top of the screw with vise grips and remove. If I was going to grind the head off, I'd use my Dremel tool like suggested previously.

If you had any of the screw's head left to grab with a screwdriver, I'd have recommended you buy an impact screw driver. It's perfect when a screw is frozen. You hammer it. When you do it turns just a little, and the screw always loosens. Great tool to have on hand when you need it.

Old 11-07-06, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by pseibel
I am transferring the direction the doors open on my daughter's refrigerator and came upon a screw (not rusted) that absolutely will not budge. All the other gazillion screws came out with no problem using my drill.

Now the problem is a stripped screw and I don't know how the heck to get it out. I've also broken two manual screwdrivers in the process.

Help!

Is it a sheet metal or machine screw? If you can remove it I'd drill it out to the next thread size and buy a new screw