Can't even hang curtains!

Old 11-02-06, 07:53 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't even hang curtains!

I can't even hang curtains!! I've got holes everywhere and the curtains are still falling. The wall is drywall and i've screwed in screws. In some places it screws and then just stops. In other places it screws all the way in then just pulls right back out. What do I need to do? And how do I get rid of all the extra holes in the walls?

Old 11-02-06, 04:00 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Curtains

Curtain rods need to be attached to wood. Use screws long enough to go through the drywall and into the framing. A stud finder is handy to locate the framing. If this is not practical, then attach the rods to the window facing(trim).

Old 11-02-06, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
As far as the holes you created, tap them slightly to indent them below the surface of the sheetrock surrounding them. Use a product like Drydex to apply over the indentations. It will go on pink, but when dry will be white, and you can sand it and paint it.

Old 11-02-06, 07:17 PM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Newbie - Your drywall is attached to framing members called studs. drywall is not a structural material, as you found when the screws pulled, but the studs are. The key is to install the screws into the wooden studs behind the drywall.

In typical framing of a home, studs are located alongside windows and doors. That's where most curtain rod brackets are designed to be mounted. The drywall is 1/2" thick so you need to have a screw at least 1" long although 1 1/2" would be better.

The spots where the screw just stops is where you want it to be. The screw is most likely hitting a stud and it requires more driving force to screw it in. You may need to pre drill a pilot hole for the screw.

Old 11-06-06, 10:08 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face

Thank you for the help. That will be my weekend project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: