Hanging a towel rack in sheetrock

Old 11-09-06, 03:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Hanging a towel rack in sheetrock

Hi,
I've read the other "drywall" hanging questions but sadly I'm still confused and KNOW I usually end up with big holes in the wall when I use a drill...such as hanging curtain rods.
So- I need to install a chrome towel rack- nothing fancy- there are directions but no pictures. It came with a metal plate which has a center hole and two oblong openings above & below that- I presume that's where I want to put the screws. But they enclosed both metal screws and plastic wall anchors (not the type that opens inside the wall) They're HUGE and don't fit inside the oblong hole in the wallplate...SO- (and here's the stupid part)
Am i supposed to drill those plastic guys in 1st and then put the metal screw "inside" the plastic? Or is it Either/Or so they enclose both types? Should I try to screw one end into a stud?
It's a new bathroom so I'm nervous to do anything but want to do it myself.
Can I just use the metal screws alone? Should I use a pilot hole 1st- uggh- I don't know what I'm doing...
Any help is appreciated- thanks,
(I do at least know how the inner little tightening screw works on the bar once I get this anchor thing in the wall...)
deb

Old 11-09-06, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Go to the store and buy what is called EZ-Anchors. They screw into the sheetrock, and when you install the enclosed screw in the middle, a tang will break and a toggle type flange will turn sideways and will tighten against the sheetrock giving you 90 pounds of vertical support. Then patch up all the other holes you made and repaint them.

Old 11-10-06, 03:42 PM
S
OK- Thanks- sounds easier...so I'd use the center hole NOT the upper/lower oblong holes to screw in this "anchor" and do I make a pilot hole 1st for this?
deb

Old 11-11-06, 11:21 AM
Deb. No pilot hole. the entire unit will screw into the wall via use of a phillips screwdriver. Once seated, follow it with the holding screw. And yes, use the center hole. Now, if you are hanging a towel ring which only uses one of the brackets, you should install a screw with molly in one of the other oblong holes as well to keep it from turning. It won't have any holding power, but stabilizes it.
Good luck and post back if we can help further.

Old 11-30-06, 04:48 PM
C
Paste this URL into a browser for an image of an EZ Anchor:

http://concrete-anchor.hardwarenet.com.tw/rimages/272/easy-anchor.gif

Old 11-30-06, 06:28 PM
Actually I was referring to (incorrectly) the EZ Toggle, which looks like this:http://www.itwbuildex.com/ezprod.htm
Scroll down to the toggle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: