Attaching TV Mount to Metal Studs

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-06, 06:32 AM
Post Attaching TV Mount to Metal Studs

Hi, I have metal studs in my home. I purchased a 37" LCD flat screen television that I would like to attach to the wall with a swivel tv mount. Can anyone tell me if this can be done with metal studs? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-06, 06:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums!! I am leery of attaching an item such as a heavy TV, especially one as large as you suggest, to metal studs. I did it in our nursery at church, but was fortunate that the wall backed up to a closet, so I used a 1x8 backer and 6" x 1/4" carriage bolts to go through the wall and into the backer.

Old 12-12-06, 01:02 PM
I recently purchased a 42" plasma tv and bought a wall mount with an extendable arm. I found out that I have metal studs. I spoke with the wall mount manufacturer and they suggest using toggle bolts through the drywall and metal studs to secure the mount/tv. The more studs you can use the more evenly the weight will be spread out. I'm going to mount my tv this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, try and find a handyman or just call best buy and have them professionally hang it for you.

Old 12-20-06, 08:10 PM
I mounted my 42" plasma this past weekend. The mount I bought is a Premier AM3 which will hold most plasma/lcd tv's from 40"-61" with a max weight capacity of 160 lbs. It also has a swingout arm that when retracted is 4" from the wall and when fully extended is 26" from the wall. I used the largest toggle bolts I could find at home depot. I used a 3/4" drill bit to drill pre-determined holes using a template that came with the mount. I made sure to secure the mount to 2 studs (16" on center) as well as the drywall itself. I ended up using 10 toggle bolts in total. The mount is up and secured really well. The mount is 85 lbs and the tv weighs 115 lbs and there is no sign of weakness in the studs or the wall. I highly recommend this method of installation if you have metal studs. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Old 12-20-06, 08:50 PM
Wink

Id use 1/4-20 toggle bolts and on two metal studs

Old 12-31-06, 11:49 PM
I'm thinking of mounting a LG 32 Inch weighing 47 pounds on metal studs using the peerless SP850.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Peerless-SP850-PE1034.html

Planing on using the peerless toggle fasteners ACC415

http://www.racksandstands.com/Peerless-ACC-415-ACC-215-PE0177.html

Fasteners are rated for 35lbs if using 1 stud, "more" if spanning two or more studs. My installation will be 65lbs in total and will span 2 metal studs. Do any of you see this being an issue?

I figured the SP850 design would be better since it seems to distribute the weight over two studs more evenly than some other single arm designs.

Old 01-01-07, 08:26 PM
The peerless sp850 is a good mount. I was considering this one as well but decided to go with the preimier am3. It seems that you only get 2 toggle bolts in the metal stud fastner kit from this e-tailer. I recommend you to go to Home Depot or Lowes and just get it from them. You'll get more for around the same price and believe me you'll need more to secure the mount to the wall. Using mounts that span over 2 studs is the right thing to do since the weight will be distributed evenly and there will be less stress on the fastners and the wall. I ended up using a total of 10 toggle bolts. 4 into the studs and 6 into the drywall. Good luck.

Old 02-08-07, 02:15 PM
Great Help

I have been stressing about mounting my 37" tv on metal studs, but the forum really helped me put things into perspective.

Thanks

Old 02-08-07, 02:47 PM
I have all the stuff I need finally just need to find time to put it up. One problem I forsee with the SP850 is that it may be hard to put addtional toggles into the drywall since there is only 4 slots. May try drilling some more holes but it's pretty thick metal.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

I found this helpful as well for my planning. This is the application finder from toggle bolts that calculates the weight load based on weight and distance from wall that the load will be held.

http://www.toggler.com/appfinder1.php

Old 02-08-07, 03:06 PM
I am going shopping for the stuff tonight. I haven't decided on a mount, it's between:

1. Peerless Tilting Wall Mount for Medium 23"- 46" LCD Screens UNIVERSAL - ST640
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9323514-5477408?asin=B000BR39FA

2. EasyMount Flat TV Wall Mount for 26" - 42" LCD or Plasma TVs, EZLCDM-02
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3880820

My TV: Magnavox 37" HDTV LCD - 37mf231d
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=in_pe_recently-viewed-items_2/602-0824700-6548615?ie=UTF8&asin=B000GZS7SQ

Does anyone have any suggestions on good mounts using two metal studs?

Thanks,

Roberta

Old 02-08-07, 04:36 PM
I think any of those would be good. Anything that spans two studs. As well the ones you have shown don't articulate so the weight of the tv will stay close to the mount.

Old 02-09-07, 10:41 AM
Togglers

I bought some toggles last night, but nowhere on the packaging did it say METAL, are there special ones for metal? or do you just use a metal drill bit and then any toggler?

Old 02-09-07, 02:01 PM
Wink

Just use a metal drill . The toggles will open behind the metal studs.

Old 03-05-07, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by redcaesar View Post
I have all the stuff I need finally just need to find time to put it up. One problem I forsee with the SP850 is that it may be hard to put addtional toggles into the drywall since there is only 4 slots. May try drilling some more holes but it's pretty thick metal.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

I found this helpful as well for my planning. This is the application finder from toggle bolts that calculates the weight load based on weight and distance from wall that the load will be held.

http://www.toggler.com/appfinder1.php
Ok finally got some time... Just finished installed my TV and mount... Used only 4 Toggle bolts into 2 studs and it's solid! I think metal of the mount was too thick to drill more holes.

Cheers.

Old 03-21-07, 06:22 PM
redcaeser:
howditgo?
I also have metal studs and the peerless SP850.

To everybody else:

My problem is I have 24" spacing with lightweight interior walls
of a commercial office building. The studs (I looked at some in another
office under construction) seem to be fairly thin to boot.

The TV is a 42" LCD (~50 lbs.), so it is big but not too heavy.

I have been planning to try to mount a board to the 24" spacing and
mount the mount to that board. But, I am worried that the studs might
be too shallow and too thin to give good support.

If I get a 1/2" plywood board that is big enough I can use 3 toggle bolts
in each stud (2 studs) and that ought to work. Is 1/2" think enough?

any advice is appreciated.
thanks
dan

Old 03-21-07, 06:44 PM
dank1j the install went nice and simply. The mount is nice and solid with only 4 toggle bolts into 2 studs. I find the SP850 a little sticky some times but a little lubrication will probably help with that. I like the mount a lot regardless because it distributes the weight across two studs which most designs do not. and the swivel is and extension is more than enough for my application.

Old 03-20-08, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by antiquedolls View Post
Hi, I have metal studs in my home. I purchased a 37" LCD flat screen television that I would like to attach to the wall with a swivel tv mount. Can anyone tell me if this can be done with metal studs? Thanks!
This forum is great! I am in the same pickle as you are. I have a wall that is supported by metal studs. On top of that, the studs span MORE than the usual 16" (I think it was 24"). I was CONTEMPLATING just using a single stud, but after reading this, it made me think twice. Also, the other side of the wall is my bedroom so the backing isn't an option.

I think I have no real resolution, other than to have it professionally installed

Old 03-20-08, 10:48 PM
mounting on metal studs

I'm also mounting to metal studs. I ordered the peerless SA740P but didn't realize I needed the additional metal plate for installation. The metal plate is 50 bucks which is a rip off. I'm thinking of just going to home depot, buy a sheet of metal wide enough to span over two metal studs, and install from there. Using the metal butterfly clips as well. I was also thinking of using Closets etc. plugs which they use for hanging elfa shelving. I had over 200lbs on my shelving using there plugs and never had a problem. Any suggestions or input?

Regards,
Jazz

Old 03-22-08, 11:47 AM
Ok, This is what I did to mount my TV.
Home Depot:
6-HILT Zip Anchors with 2.5 inch screws
4- Large Washers
1- 1 x 10 x 20 (Pine wood)
1 -1/2 inch drill bit to make holes.
1 - Level
Pint of black paint.

This is for a 27inch Samsung LCD.
Each Anchor will hold 90lbs.

Measured holes 3" from the lenght of the board and 2" Down to give me distance from the edges to prevent cracking. I did this on both sides. I then found center of board for mounting.

WARNING: Be sure that you are centering the mount where the LCD is going NOT where the mount attaches to the wall. When the mount is completely closed you'll notice that where the mount attaches to the wall will be off centered, so when the articulating arm is completely closed the mounting plate for tv will be on center.

I pre drilled all my holes in the board first. Then placed the board on the wall where I'm mounting, and marked on the wall where I'm going to drill. Remove board and then drill holes in wall.

Take 6 anchors and securely and evenly lock into the wall.

Next.
1. Washer and Screws.
Place board on wall. Washer should be between board and screw. Attach the board to the wall. Make sure that the screws are tight enough that it stops your drill.

Once the board is in place, trying hanging on it. I'm 180 lbs and it didn't even budge.

Now, attach your mount into the center holes.
Follow directions for mounting LCD in your manual.

Finished.

Painting of course is Optional.

Stephen

Old 03-25-08, 11:08 AM
I've now have two 30" TV's up in my place with The SP850 mounted on metal studs. I got nabbed on the second one because it didn't have the standard vesa screw mounts so I had to buy the adapter kit... But again I have them both mounted on metal studs 16" appart using the toggle bolts.

Cheers!

Closed Thread