Installing Hardware for Drapery Installation

Old 12-13-06, 05:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Hardware for Drapery Installation

I am trying to mount L brackets onto a wall above a window to support a heavy cornice board type window treatment. I have drilled holes in which to place plastic anchors or toggle bolts, but in some areas I am hitting something extremely inpenetrable behind the sheetrock - I'm assuming maybe metal flashing that has been installed around the edges of the window frame? I obviously have exact places that I must be able to drill into in order for the window treatments to be placed properly. How do I drill into this metal? Do I need some special type of fastener after I finally do get the holes drilled?

Old 12-13-06, 08:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You should be hitting the header above the window, but it should be made of wood. Southern Yellow Pine tends to be tough, but you should be able to drill into it for piloting. Not sure why there would be a metal flashing on the inside of the house. Now, as luck will have it, you could be drilling into the head of a nail, and that would not make for a happy day. Have you tried another hole in the bracket?

Old 12-14-06, 05:16 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, other areas we have drilled are OK, but we were nervous about not having a screw in the top hole of the bracket since the cornice we are trying to support is quite heavy. I thought maybe if we used longer brackets (with 3 holes instead of 2) so that we had at least 2 more screws attaching it to the wall (vs. leaving the top hole of the bracket empty and having only one screw in the bottom hole) that that might work. But since I am doing this for a decorating client, I wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there.

Old 12-14-06, 06:46 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Bracket

I agree with Larry. It is probably a nail in the header.
You should miss the nail if you could move the bracket 1/4 in. in any direction. This may not be possible. You could possibly move the hole in the bracket by drilling a new hole in the bracket.
A different bracket may move the hole to a new position. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: