Need advice on drawer slides

Old 01-13-07, 02:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on drawer slides

Hi all,

I'm about to build a ton of cabinetry-- kitchen, bathroom, hallway, various built-ins, etc. I will have ~40 drawers and interior sliding shelves. All cabinets are Euro-style frameless. I was all set to order Accuride drawer slides but ran into an issue.

In reviewing the specs and installation data for the slides, the model I'd selected says that it is for drawers that are 16" or less in width! HUH? I called Accuride and spoke with a tech. He said that if you exceed the max recommended widths, you may experience racking when opening and closing the drawers. They do make some types that are "suitable" for wider drawers but there are other issues with those models that make them unsuitable for my needs.

Now I don't know what to do. The drawers range in size from 17-34" in width, 5-10 inches in height, and 10-26" in depth. NOTE: these measurements are of the drawer face, not the opening, so the actual drawer boxes will be ~2.5" less in width.

Here are some drawer slide features that I must have (or really want to have): ball bearing; self-closing; expoxy or other coating (I live in a humid salty environment where even stainless steel 304 corrodes rapidly). I was looking at side-mounted but I guess I could do bottom mounted.

Advice??? Should I just use the medium-duty Accurides and cross my fingers? I have to get all details nailed down well ahead of time because I live on a little island. Everything will have to be brought in from the States.

Old 01-13-07, 10:24 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Have you taken a look at the Blum glides. Many of the major cabinet manufacturers use Blum.

Old 01-19-07, 11:42 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rack decreases as glide depth increases. You don't necessarily need to increase *drawer* depth. Possible?

Old 01-20-07, 12:50 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Standard base cabinets are 24" deep and this dictates drawer depth. Blum's glides can be used on any width drawer.

www.blum.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: