hanging a bookshelf in concrete!

Old 01-20-07, 07:20 AM
hanging a bookshelf in concrete!

Help Please!

I have been trying to get someone to help me hang a bookshelf in my dormroom for months and yesterday decided to just do it myself - bad decision. it came down as soon as i put a little weight on it. the shelf weighs about 10 pounds and i want to put a fair number of books on it so it will need to hold well. The problem is that the wall i am trying to hang it in is concrete!

can someone tell me what i have to do, and what screws i have to use to get it to stay up without coming down on top of my computer again? i consider myself pretty handy for a nerdy girl but i really have no idea how i am going to get this to stay.

thanks so much!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-07, 07:56 AM
I would suggest you use what are commonly known as "tapcons".These are a type of screw which are deisgned to screw directly into masonry.You use a specific drill bit and then drive them in with a drill using a screwdriver bit.I would take a bracket from your shelf to a real hardware store not a big box store and get the sales help there to match up the right screws and bit for your project.They can explain exactly what to do based on the specifics of your situation.

Last edited by spdavid; 01-20-07 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 08:08 AM
Bookshelf

You will need a hammer drill to drill the pilot holes for the Tapcons.

Old 01-20-07, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know, guys...the tapcons may not give the holding power needed for a bookshelf. What would you think of toggle bolts? They would, at least, give a little better pullout prevention.

Old 01-20-07, 06:22 PM
I caught it as soon as I hit the submit button.....I was thinking of my old dorm room 35 years ago, being concrete block, but the OP may be referring to a monolith, in which case the tapcons would be what the "doctor" needs.

Old 01-21-07, 06:50 AM
You do have a point though.I took the post to mean solid concrete but if it's block tapcons would only work in the joints.

Old 01-21-07, 11:30 AM
Bookshelf

I agree. Tapcons for solid concrete or toggle bolts for hollow core blocks.

Old 01-21-07, 12:12 PM
You will need a hammer drill to drill the pilot holes for the Tapcons.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
not necessarily true

Ive done a lot of tapcons and other concrete drilling without the aid of a hammer drill .

hammer drills nice but not necessary to get the job done (especially for a few holes )

(we used to drill masonry with a yankee push drill with a masonry bit before the days of cordless , did just fine )

Old 01-21-07, 01:18 PM
nap
Actually I would be cautious recommending anything where the OP will need to damage the wall since it is a rented room and there may be (readrobably is) rules in place that do not allow one to damage the walls in this manner.

If that is the case, I would suggest a nice freestanding bookshelf that does not require you to damage the walls to install it.

Old 01-21-07, 02:38 PM
Book Case

Nap is correct. I failed to recognize this situation as a rental.
To expand on Nap's idea, you may be able to get a top unit for your computer desk which would serve the purpose. Or perhaps add longer end boards to your present bookcase so it will rest on your computer desk. Good luck.

Old 01-21-07, 08:31 PM
You may seek permission to mount it. The nursing home where my mother in law lived allowed us to place one of those swivel wall mounted tv stands in her room, but it became the property of the nursing home and we couldn't remove it. Maybe the same rules may apply. Worth a shot.

Old 01-21-07, 10:06 PM
That was my thought of asking to mount it with the condition that it stay with the apartment when the renter leaves.Also consider involving the landlord in the choice of style,size etc of the unit and keeping the landlord in the loop as to how much alteration will be done to the wall.

Old 01-22-07, 09:29 AM
Thanks!

Thank you all so much! I'll be in this room for 4 years so i dont mind doing a little damage to the walls if thats what it takes, and i have already maxed out all available floor space and desk space in this tiny room (hence the need for a wall shelf or two to hold my ever-growing collection of books)

The wall is solid concrete, not blocks so im going to try the tapcons and pray that they will hold!

THANKS AGAIN!!