Securing A Cabinet against A Bathroom Tiled Wall

Old 01-31-07, 10:18 AM
Securing A Cabinet against A Bathroom Tiled Wall

Securing Cabinet to a Bathroom Tiled Wall

I wish to secure a storage cabinet onto a bathroom tiled-wall. We rent the apt and cannot drill or damage the tiles … but can drill at the corners where the grouting joins them. The weight of the cabinet will be rested on the top of a radiator cover cabinet. ***The wall will not be bearing the cabinet’s weight. The mounting is solely for the purpose of securing the unit so that one can open its doors without tipping it over.

The cabinet is 24" x 24" x 6"s

One of my ideas was to lay three rows of industrial velcro along the cabinets back. Since the wall won’t be bearing the weight, I thought this might be an effective approach and the least damaging to the existing tiles.

Another would be simply to drill holes where the tiles meet (and only slightly damage the corners of the tile… and then regrout when I remove the cabinets.) and use plastic anchors to secure the cabinets (possibly with a cleat/z-strips)

I am open for suggestions which might be more effective.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-07, 04:32 PM
Could you hang it from the ceiling? Without drilling it is not very likely that the cabinet will stay in place. Drilling the grout lines is almost sure to chip the tile or make it difficult to match the grout color at a later time. As a landlord myself I'd be rather upset if I found out my renters had been drilling holes in or around my tile.

Old 02-11-07, 12:44 PM
Cabinet

Check for a stud at the intersection of grout joints. If you find one, then attach cabinet with a screw long enough to reach at least one inch into the stud. This should prevent the cabinet from tipping.