real 2x6 joist hangers

Old 02-08-07, 03:45 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
real 2x6 joist hangers

I'm looking for a true 2x6 dimensional joist hangers for what nowadays would be called ruff cut lumber. I live in an old house with real 2x6 floor joist that have been notched on one end to fit into a beam and some are starting to split on that end. I want to stop it before it gets any worse.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-07, 06:50 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might have to use a double joist hanger that's 3" wide. Use a filler piece to make up the extra inch.

Old 02-08-07, 02:10 PM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
That's a great idea, thanks

Old 02-18-07, 02:52 PM
C
cmh
What about double joists?

Just came here looking for exactly the same info. Hard to find anywhere online that would work with rough sawn joists since I'm looking for 2x8"... really 2x8", but the nominal size is still 2" on standard stuff now and that's what shows up in searches. Figured that I could use the double-joist hanger with a spacer, just like Wayne said, but I have two spots where I have double rough sawn joists -- a full 4" wide.

Guess there's not much that can be done there.

Old 02-23-07, 11:37 AM
M
MWS
Actual Rough Lumber Hanger

Simpson makes a line of hangers for rough sawn lumber. Their LU26R-18 is an example of a rough 2x6 hanger. Visit www.strongtie.com to see more. If you're going to be facing framing inspections, filling the gaps with blocks to accomodate a standard double hanger may become an issue. The load calcs on those hangers are based on the side nails penetrating the joist, not blocking. Any lumber yard with a Simpson account can have a rough lumber hanger within days.