How to mount vent hood to wall?

Old 03-23-07, 01:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to mount vent hood to wall?

Just got a big vent hood for the kitchen--"commercial style" I guess. It's 18" tall, 36" wide, 27" deep. Mounts to the wall. I need to screw it into studs. I think I just drill some holes in the back of the thing to line up with the studs, no? (It's stainless steel). If so, any tricks to drilling thru stainless steel? And, what kind of screws do I use? How big, how long? Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-23-07, 02:20 PM
S
You should use either cobalt or titanium bits not regular high speed steel as stainless is harder metal to drill.

I'd mount with lag screws which are large wood screws with a hex head that can be driven with a socket wrench.They start at 1/4 in and go up in diameter and I doubt you'd need larger than 1/4 just be sure to use 2 or 3 in each stud and disperse the weight over as many studs as possible with fender washers behind the heads to also disperse weight.

I had a customer who took a nail and tapped the steel to create a point to drill into so the bit didn't dance on the metal...might try that.He was also working with stainless.

Old 03-23-07, 02:26 PM
C
Good tips, thank you. I'll hopefully have time to give it a try this weekend.

Old 03-23-07, 03:40 PM
Wink

Just drill it at a slow speed any bit will drill it then.

Old 03-23-07, 04:05 PM
Just my two cents worth. They make hangers for range hoods. they come in several sizes. You mount the hanger on the wall, and the hood hooks right on to it. They are usually found in good appliance stores. but, your method will work good also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: