How to mount Large Mirror above dresser

Old 03-23-07, 04:00 PM
How to mount Large Mirror above dresser

Hey guys,

Trying to hang a large round mirror above the dresser. No instructions or anything but it came with a rope attached to 2 loops and something that looks like I can put a Screw in the wall to secure the bottom to the wall as well.

How would I hang the mirror using the rope? I have wood studs but am kind of clueless at this point.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-07, 09:47 PM
Let me know if you guys think that some pictures would help out with this.

Old 03-23-07, 09:56 PM
Wink

A ROPE???? Id go to a big box store They have a wire that you can use for pictures and for this . Dont know how big or heavy find out they would have hooks and the wire for anything. Go for 2 studs

Old 03-23-07, 10:20 PM
Thanks Ed, It's not really a rope. Actually feels stronger than wire and pretty thick. I can use 2 studs and just hang them on it but what to put in the studs to hold the wire.

Thanks

Old 03-23-07, 10:38 PM
Wink

Some of the picture hooks they have can each hold 50 lb
. You say the nail can go into a stud. It will hold for you

Old 03-24-07, 07:56 AM
I'm assuming the "rope" is some sort of wire cable and was once holding this mirror up and/or was put on by the manufacturer? If studs are available and in the right place for your needs just get long enough screws (pan head sheet metal types work better because they are threaded all the way and do not taper) and what are commonly known as "molly hooks" and screw the hooks to the wall through to a stud.This combination will hold tremendous amounts of weight and distributed between two you could likely hold up to 100 lbs.

Picture hangers are an option but the nails are not long enough to reach a stud and penetrate significantly after going through the hanger.If this mirror is more than 20-30 lbs. use at least two hangers and try to use as large a type as possible.

Go to a real hardware store as the help there will actually know what the items I referred to are.Big box stores offer no assistance....you'll save three cents and walk 1000 feet to do it and you're on your own.

Old 03-24-07, 03:49 PM
Thanks again Ed and SP. I'm still having a bit of a problem though.

I tried to just hang it on the Pan head screw as I couldn't find what a molly hook was and the dude at the hardware store didn't know either. Is this just a picture hanger?

Well the screws hold fine but the top of the mirrir is pretty far off the wall so it doesn't seem good at all. Here is a pic of the mirror so you get the picture.

http://webpages.charter.net/snowdogg/pics/

I'm wondering what could help the 2 screws keep the mirror closer to the wall so it seems more secure.

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate the help!

Old 03-24-07, 05:18 PM
Update, I think it's good now as I flipped the hardware around on the mirror as it was upside down. Just fastened that to a drywall anchor and we are good to go.

thanks again guys.

Old 03-24-07, 07:53 PM
http://concrete-anchor.hardwarenet.com.tw/concrete-anchor/hollow-wall-anchor/hook-hollow-anchor.htm

The above link is a molly hook.