Best Method to install Picture Hooks on Plaster?

Old 07-31-07, 08:01 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best Method to install Picture Hooks on Plaster?

I'm trying to minimize the damage to the plaster wall and still install a solid hook. What is the best way to do this? TIA.

Old 07-31-07, 08:40 AM
T
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Well there are those adhesive kinds. Sometimes they only take off the paint when you remove them. A 16d nail is pretty solid if it hits the stud. There are tricks to finding the stud.

Is this an old house with wood lath? If so a screw almost anywhere in the wall will hold if it hits the meat of the lath or a stud. If it hits the key (space between the lath then move up or down an inch to get the meat of the lath. Angle the screw slightly downward as you drive it.
If you have gypsum lath a stud is a good hold but an expanding anchor or a molly screw will work well.

Are you wanting to hold something to a wall or a ceiling?

For a ceiling yo should hit the joist.

Maybe you want to know how to find a joist or stud without making a lot of holes searching.

If that is what you want we can tell you that too.

Old 08-02-07, 11:04 AM
F
Plaster Walls

with lathe. I would go for the stud if it is in the vicinity of where I want to hang the pictures but most times its not. I have used nails before but I can never seem to manage to hit anything but the keys. I like the velco type idea as it works well to keep pictures from going crooked but I don't know if it will hold a 30lb print.

Old 08-05-07, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If your location is the "only" one and it doesn't hit a stud, use EZ-Anchors. They screw into the wall using the built in bit, but when you screw in the screw, it releases a wing type unit from behind and draws it tight against the inside of the wall. Drill slowly so as not to chip too much of the plaster out. They have a 90 lb. vertical weight holding capability.

Old 08-07-07, 11:37 AM
S
3M Command Adhesives

3M Command Adhesive hooks for sure
They come in all sizes, shapes, and applications
There used to be some in the DoItYourself Shop (up there^)
If they don't have them anymore, your local hardware store or home center should

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: