bracketless shelving

Old 09-17-07, 08:23 PM
Question bracketless shelving

I am looking to find out how to go about putting a shelf up so that it is bracketless.

I have a shelving unit in my sons room that is pretty much 2 rectangles and I would like to put them seperately on the wall, but I would also like them to be bracketless. Does anyone know how I could go about doing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-07, 07:10 AM
Key hole brackets will do the trick - only trouble is you need a router and a special bit to cut the slot needed in the back of the shelf unit.

Once installed, the brackets are completely hidden by the shelving unit itself.

Old 11-29-07, 04:44 PM
Hi,

I have a similar situation - I'm putting up glass shelves that are measured 18" in length, 3" wide, and 1/4" thick. Should I go with the same sort of key hole bracket? What exactly is that?

Sounds like they could even be made then, with a router and a squared off (1/4") bit? There is no way that they could pop out or anything, can they?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 11-30-07, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Not completely invisible, but these work well for glass:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10228

Old 12-04-07, 10:02 PM
I was just researching this myself to mount surround speakers in the living room. Here a couple links I found with ideas that I plan to draw from...the first link is probably what I'll be doing for the small speakers in the rear...the second crown moulding one for the high mounted long shelf over the LCD/fireplace.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_organizi...376128,00.html

http://woodstore.net/crmosh.html

Old 04-07-08, 08:21 PM
Finished product...

Picture of the finished product (sorry dial up users). There are also two smaller ones in each corner on the opposite wall. I will definitely be doing this design again. Very sturdy and seamless look, plus by using matching fir and stain they blend in well with the existing fir trim on the 100 year old house.

Old 04-08-08, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lynchmob, I just want to tell you how beautiful your speaker shelves look. That is really classy.

You can post before and after photos in the "I Did It Myself" section on th DIY home page. I'm sure this will inspire a lot of other people. Great job

Connie

Old 04-09-08, 04:55 AM
What I have done a few times is drill 3/16" holes 2" to 3" into a stud and drive a 3/16" steel rod into the hole so it sticks out of the wall a couple inches. Then drill 3/16" holes into the back edge of the shelf and push the shelf onto the projecting steel rods. Be sure you match the holes in the back of the shelf exactly with the holes in the wall. If the rods are not perfectly square with the wall, they can be bent slightly once installed before the shelf is installed.

The advantage of this is it's cheap and only requires a level, drill, hacksaw and hammer. The disadvantage is that you have to be REALLY accurate, as there is no allowance for adjustment.

Old 05-28-09, 02:54 PM
bracketless/floating shelves

My local Lowe's carries bracketless shelves, but the shelf depth is only 10". Does anyone know if they're made any deeper than that? I'm looking for something with a depth of 12 - 14". Thanks