A hard anchor to source...

Old 10-14-07, 04:49 PM
MKM
A hard anchor to source...

Most of us have seen the expanding leg type hollow wall anchors. You insert the device, drive the screw, and the part inside the wall compresses and expands the 'legs' against the inside of the wall.

I have an infloor sump basin. It consists of a infloor polyethellene basin about 18" round and 30" deep. It houses a pump, floats, etc. Its covered by a metal plate, fastened around the perimeter in 16 places. A 1/4-20 1" bolt is fatsened, from the top, through a washer, through the plate, and is received by a hollow wall type anchor which was installed into the polyethelene. Some of my anchors are not reuseable, and I need to install more. The old ones have been removed.

Essentially, I am looking for very extra short range hollow anchors. They need to be mounted into a hole in the poly which is about 1/2" wide. The poly thickness is approximately 2 or 3 32nds of an inch. Something around 1/4 thread would be consistant with the rest of the application.

This is a tough one. Can anyone source these for me?

Thanks...

...Mike

, the plate recently opened a sump basinhollow wall anchors

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-07, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
A threaded insert rivet is likely what was used but I don't know if this type would be wide enough for your application.

Click image:

Image courtesy of harborfreight.com

Old 10-14-07, 07:29 PM
MKM
Cool

Thanks Greg. That really cool - I don't think it will meet my needs, because of the existing 1/2" holes, but I just might buy one anyway - I like it.

I did find what might be an almost source - a dot com called boltdepot ( cool site) has a part number 12235 that might work, but it may not clench well enough - it works on materials as thin as 1/8" . At least it will be a fallback if I can't find something better.

Still looking...

Thanks...

...Mike

Old 10-16-07, 09:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by MKM View Post
Thanks Greg. That really cool - I don't think it will meet my needs, because of the existing 1/2" holes, but I just might buy one anyway - I like it.

I did find what might be an almost source - a dot com called boltdepot ( cool site) has a part number 12235 that might work, but it may not clench well enough - it works on materials as thin as 1/8" . At least it will be a fallback if I can't find something better.

Still looking...

Thanks...

...Mike
Toggle Bolts from your local hardware store of choice should do it.