Removing one way screw tip

Old 04-05-05, 10:34 PM
tinkerer
Visiting Guest
Removing one way screw tip

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and enjoying vast amount of info here.

I noticed quite a few threads for problems with removing one way screws. I deal with them often on my jobs and here's a few tips.

-Can the head be grabbed with vise grips? I removed most panhead style one ways using a visegrip to unscrew them.

-There are commercial removal tools, I own a set of these screwdriver like tools but rarely use them.

-Use a dremel tool with cutting disc to slot the head and use regular screwdriver to remove

-Here's my favorite method. I use a center punch placed on the sloped portion( as close to the outer edge of screw head as possible) of the one way and rap repeatly with a hammer. Once the the head makes a few turns and rises above the surface, just use the vise grips to grab the head and complete the unscrewing. This method works on the flat headed ones that are flush with surface and hardest to remove. Just remember to direct the fast raps to "walk" the screw, no hard blows needed. A hard blow can cause the punch to slip and mar the work. This method has never failed me.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-05, 09:53 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I've put in one-way screws a few times, wondering how I'd ever get them out.

Old 12-09-06, 06:42 PM
A
Talking removed 1 way screws

My 1st time using this site. Your tip for removing 1 way screws worked LIKE A CHARM!!! Thanks so much...

Adtac

Old 03-29-08, 04:24 PM
G
"Your Favorite" method worked like a charm. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: