Hang Speaker on Wall help

Old 04-01-08, 09:35 AM
Hang Speaker on Wall help

I'm not much of a DIYer and as such am pretty dumb when it comes to having to hang things on the wall.

I just bought some speakers that I'd like to hang on the wall. They have three keyhole slots in them. One in the center at the top and two in the bottom on the left and right. The speakers weigh ~20lbs.

I was thinking of just putting a 2" #10 or #12 wood screw into a stud and hanging the speaker from the center top mount in the speaker. Would that be sufficient? Do I need to use the bottom mounts? If I do, can I just use one to add a little extra support? If I use one of the lower keyhole slots, I'll have to use some kind of wall anchor. Could someone suggest a wall anchor to use if I need to use something other than one screw?

The screw also needs to stick out about 1/4" out from the wall because there are little rubber 'feet' on the back to keep it from vibrating against the wall.

Thanks .

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-08, 12:00 PM
1x #10 ~2" long, in stud, should be plenty. If you use flathead screw the tapered neck + gravity will clamp the speaker tight at the top. You might want to push a bit of foam, etc. behind the speaker to better isolate vibrations.

If no stud then use screw-in type anchors (x3), that look like fat screws. Pre-poke rather large holes for these and trim hole edges so the anchors sink flush or, ideally, low enough to spackle over some day.

Old 04-01-08, 03:00 PM
Cool. Thanks.

Does it hurt anything to use a bigger sized screw, like say a #12 vs a #10?

Old 04-01-08, 03:13 PM
If one, you could use the largest screw that'll fit the keyhole. But #12 may hurt something, namely your hand when driving it without a pilot hole. If three, they may not line up with those keyholes unless a bit undersized.

Old 04-01-08, 07:02 PM
Kobuchi, thanks for all your help. I went ahead with a #12 screw. It fits just right over the keyhole. It gives me a warmer fuzzy than a #10 . Thanks again.

Old 04-01-08, 08:36 PM
My pleasure.