pneumatic storm door opener

Old 05-28-08, 09:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pneumatic storm door opener

Help! I have a 50+ year old storm door. When I unscrewed the storm door opener to carry something large out, it lost tension and spun. When I re-screwed it back in place, it now won't shut the door and is now ineffective. I can't tell how to restore it to the way it was before. I now does nothing to close the door. (Hope I explained this right.) Anybody know how to I can fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-08, 07:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! 50 years, that seems like a good life span for a storm door. It may be best to replace the door rather than repairing the one you have.

Old 05-28-08, 08:33 PM
G
If it spun when released , it sounds like it has spring in side that lost it's tension when released.

Old 05-28-08, 08:37 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing that you mean "door closer" not opener. Go to one of the big box web sites and query " door closer". See if you find one that is close to matching yours, and just replace it.

There may be a screw with a spring on one end of the closer. You might try adjusting that screw as it controls the closing speed.

Last edited by goldstar; 05-28-08 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added second thought
Old 05-29-08, 09:44 AM
S
Note that over the years manufacturers of door closers have largely gone out of business and virtually all are now imported.Do not expect to find anything closer than just basic similarity to your exisiting closer.If this is a closer mounted to the surface of the door ( as opposed to a built in version ) you will not likely find a closer that will use the same mounting holes etc. and reusing old mounting hardware is also not likely to work out.

Your situation has come elements of complexity so I'd recommend avoiding big box stores if your area still has any real hardware stores left.You could need knowledgeable saleshelp and they offer none.Another choice might be a business that focuses on doors etc.

Old 06-17-08, 06:07 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sandy23 View Post
Help! I have a 50+ year old storm door. When I unscrewed the storm door opener to carry something large out, it lost tension and spun. When I re-screwed it back in place, it now won't shut the door and is now ineffective. I can't tell how to restore it to the way it was before. I now does nothing to close the door. (Hope I explained this right.) Anybody know how to I can fix it?
it sounds to me that you have one of those screen door closers that have a gear on the end of its rod that controls the spring tension, such as on the old DEXTER and storm-king's or sargent, and the stanley heavy duty closers such as this:

what i would do is remove the pin or screws from bracket on cylinder end of it and put a small rod in the gear teeth against bracketon hinge side and then push the cylinder back onto door and put screws back on bracket or pin back in. in future if have to have door open but dont want to loose tension, just remove pin or screws from door bracket side and move the cylinder part out of the way and make sure the little rod thing in spring dont fall out or just take it out and when putting closer back into action just put it back in then mount end of cylinder to door,

hope this helps explain the old style screen door closers

Old 06-25-08, 12:08 PM
W
Select a model number for a closer or closers depending on the door weight, which depends qualitatively on its design. Get this info from the manu's website because it's not usually on the closer package and the store clerks may be aggressively disinterested in helping you pick a suitable model. Most people pick them by color, not design.
Glass ~ 160#/cu ft, wood ~ 40#/cu ft.