Mouting LCD Tv into Wall

Old 07-26-08, 05:55 PM
Mouting LCD Tv into Wall

Uber-newb to handyman type work, and get this - I just got hired as a maintenance man oh well, fake it till you make it right?

Anyhow one of the tv's in the gym looks like it's about to come out of the wall.

This is what it looks like.

What is the best way to fix this? I want to have it nice and sturdy not just a quick fix.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-08, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From the pictures that looks like the wrong stand for that size tv.
All you need is a stud finder and the correct stand for the set.The stands come with the hardware and directions to install.
looks like the tv is over the wieght limit for that stand. thats why it's coming loose from the wall.
Keep your chin up.You may be a better maintanance man than you think.

Old 07-27-08, 12:06 PM
Picture's a bit fuzzy so I can't tell if those are nails or screws holding that bracket.Also is it attached to a stud or not?

What "should" be going on there is two screws into a stud but that movement of the bracket looks like either whatever those are are not tightened down or it's not in a stud.

Old 07-27-08, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Not an expert here, but I'll bet if this is a commercial "strip mall" kinda place, those are metal studs.

If there is indeed a stud back there, and I'll bet there is or it would have already fallen off already, I'd mount a piece of painted hardwood about 1 x 3 x 12" long, with 4 screws. Then mount the bracket through that into the stud. Make sure you go through the wood into the stud. That would distribute the load much better and prevent twisting when the TV is moved around.

Old 07-27-08, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gunguy may be right on the metal studs, but it looks like wood behind one of the lower bracket screws. I also agree this stand may be too light weight for that tv. In addition, that damage was not due to the weight. Some do-do hit the bracket causing the damage. It is a side-to-side damage, not from vertical weight. Installing this type tv in that environment would be better on a backer board, larger than the bracket itself.