fastener for Cinder block

Old 10-08-08, 05:27 PM
fastener for Cinder block

I am installing kitchen cabinets that hang from a rail (IKEA). My wall is cinder block. The block is filled with concrete.

What fastener to use?

I am concerned lead anchors may crack the cinder block...

but concerend plastic anchors will not hold cabinets with load....

I was in construction a long, long time ago....and used Hilti 22 cal. gun on concrete...but don't have one now and not sure if suitable for cinder block.....any advice? tnx

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-08, 06:16 PM
Suggest what is referred to as a "tapcon" screw which is a heavy threaded hardened screw (usually blue in color) that screws directly into a masonry materials.They use specific sized masonry bits.You should drill into and use these in the mortar joints between the blocks.There are a variety of sizes and a couple of different head types.Go to a real hardware store where you can ask qualified help questions so you get the best size for the job and the proper masonry bit.

Old 10-08-08, 10:11 PM
thanks!

Didn't know about these! I appreciate the advice.

Old 10-09-08, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
The bigger size packages of Tapcons sometimes include the proper size drill bit.

Old 10-09-08, 07:32 AM
Tapcon is a brand name. There are other brands of concrete screws available. You can get them at any big box store. A visit to the Tapcon web site will answer any questions about their use.

One thing. Drilling the holes is soooo much easier with a hammer drill. Using a regular drill can take forever per hole.