Money hooks, hercules hooks, ez drywall hooks

Old 11-17-08, 01:53 PM
B
bhk
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Money hooks, hercules hooks, ez drywall hooks

Would like feedback, do they actually work and are they easy to install,

or better staying with old fashioned picture hooks?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-08, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Hercules hooks and other similar hooks are the finest thing since sliced bread for hanging pictures. Damage to the wall is minimal and it has a good holding strength.

Old 11-18-08, 08:36 AM
B
bhk
Hercules hooks etc

Thanx for input

I didn't see them in Home Depot 2 weeks ago......surprised

I was looking in regular picture hook dept......

Must they be mail ordered? or.......other suggestions?

Old 11-18-08, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The hooks are normally somewhere around that area, but they used to have them on clipstrips on the beams. You may have to ask someone, corporate has strange ideas of where they want things placed.

They are probably available at most Hardware stores or Craft/Art stores as well.

Old 11-18-08, 08:55 AM
S
Ok I work for an Ace store and we sell a big variety of picture hangers.My personal fav are called "elite" but I've seen them as "ook" and I'm sure there are other brands.Maybe even one of the names listed,I only know Monkey hooks of the three.Anyway elite hooks have a special hardened nail that is very thin and very sharp so it penetrates without doing any serious damage.they come in a whole series of weight ratings and work like a charm.

I don't trust the hooks that are just a large peice of bent wire like Monkey hooks.Not because the hook won't hold weight but because I've seen these with weight on them rip through sheetrock.

That said if you're hanging something overly heavy in sheetrock use a wall anchor and a hook made for them.The old fav was known as a "molly hook" and was used with a "molly bolt".Now they are just called drywall anchors etc.

Trivia note:It's because they were invented by the Molly Company.

Old 11-18-08, 09:44 AM
B
bhk
Hercules hooks etc

Thanx for input.

We do not have an ACE anywhere near us but will look for names you mentioned

Yes, we remember the molly bolts......

Perhaps the hercules/monkey hooks would work ok with smaller/lighter pictures.....?..

We just moved to an apt. and have many pics/mirrors to hang and hercules/monkey looked so easy.

Old 11-18-08, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
The "OOKs" that were mentioned also work very well, as spdavid said. The can almost be put in drywall by hand since they have knurled heads on the nail, and they are very sharp. Or they can be tapped in with just a screwdriver handle. The nails for the standard sizes are not much bigger than a heavy sewing needle. They leave a very small hole with little to no surface damage.

Old 11-18-08, 10:06 AM
B
bhk
Do you know if they make a weight for Mirrors that is heavy enough, or best sticking with a Milly?

Old 11-18-08, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
They make them rated up to about 100 lbs IIRC, but I don't know whether I'd use them for that. I guess if it's hung on a wire and you used 2 it would prob be fine.

Apparently their website is undergoing some renovation, all I can see is the home page.

Old 11-18-08, 11:50 AM
S
Elite and/or OOK which are different brand names of the same basic hook are made with ratings to 100 lbs.As GG suggested,it's a god idea to use two when hanging heavy objects to distribute the weight.

I'd use monkey hooks for less than 25 or 30 lbs.Above that I've seen where thet sort of sliced through drywall like a blade.

Mollys will hold a lot of weight.If you're working with standard drywall make sure you get the right length.Terminology varies by brand/label but is usually referred to as 1/8 short or 1/8s (not extra short,xs,es and not long,ls.ld).

They make hammer drive versions and drill versions.I would drill regardless because the hammer drive versions sometimes are damaged by the hammering.If it has a point drill it anyway.Usually the drill size is 1/4 in but I have seen them that were 5/16.It will tell you on the package.