Driving Lag Bolt into Wood Beam

Old 12-29-08, 08:45 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driving Lag Bolt into Wood Beam

Hey All,

I am trying to install a boxing bag which is 70 lbs, and the ceiling mount for it attaches to a wooden beam in the house. The mount has two holes for 5/16" x 2" lag bolts. I am a beginner when it comes to hardware and don't want to make a mistake with something as important as a support beam in my house.

I have done some research and I know that I need to pre-drill a pilot hole to prevent the beam from splitting, but I am not sure what size to drill?

Once the pilot hole is drilled will I need an electric impact wrench or can I just use a socket wrench to drive the lag bolts in? I am sure many of you have a lot of experience and I value your recommendations, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-08, 03:33 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I usually just match the pilot diameter to the screw diameter (less the threads) or a bit smaller. Use a bit of soap on the threads (any kind) and a 3/8" ratchet to snug up the screw if your gun doesn't have the 'oomph' (I'd just ratchet it). Just make certain it's washered properly if needed and you'll be fine.

Last edited by SxS adventure; 12-30-08 at 03:36 AM. Reason: delete/add
Old 12-30-08, 05:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may start out with the lag bolts, but if you note any loosening of them while you are using it, you should replace them with carriage bolts through the beam and fender washers on top. Not sure how easy this would be, but it is a safer way to hang a bag that will be taking alot of punishment.