Merillat drawer rail support

Old 03-02-09, 08:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Merillat drawer rail support

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I can seem to find the plastic replacement part that supports the rails for a merillat kitchen drawer. Can I make something to support the rails? Or is there place to buy the plastic rail support?

Old 03-02-09, 11:52 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Rail Support

Do your rails match any of these?

Merillat Cabinet Construction Details and Comparisons

Click on drawer guide system.

Old 03-02-09, 08:05 PM
P
No, those are the new types. My Merrillat cabinets are 21 years old. This is what I'm looking for.

Old 03-03-09, 08:40 AM
W
Socket

This web site says no longer available:

No longer available for purchase. - Merillat cabinet Parts

Recommends replacing the entire slide assembly, which would be costly.

Perhaps one of these might work as a substitute:

Bainbridge Manufacturing Online Store Rear
Sockets

The slide in the photo has a hole at the end. It seems that you could install a block of wood and fasten through the hole with a screw.

Old 03-03-09, 02:52 PM
I gave up looking long ago. I found I can save a lot of time and money by making wood parts to repair the plastic ones. Almost every single plastic slide holder has broken in the 20 years we've had our home. In the beginning, we could still get the installing sub-contractor to provide them - until he packed up and left. Guess he got tired of me and all my neighbors bugging him for repair parts.

Good Luck.

Old 03-03-09, 02:57 PM
Is there any of the plastic part left that you could screw the rail to??

Old 03-03-09, 09:09 PM
P
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
This web site says no longer available:

No longer available for purchase. - Merillat cabinet Parts

Recommends replacing the entire slide assembly, which would be costly.

Perhaps one of these might work as a substitute:

Bainbridge Manufacturing Online Store Rear
Sockets

The slide in the photo has a hole at the end. It seems that you could install a block of wood and fasten through the hole with a screw.
Wirepuller, thank you for the reply's and information. I find the Brainbridge site interesting, I might be able to make something work or modify it to work.

Old 03-03-09, 09:47 PM
P
Originally Posted by talenttim View Post
I gave up looking long ago. I found I can save a lot of time and money by making wood parts to repair the plastic ones. Almost every single plastic slide holder has broken in the 20 years we've had our home. In the beginning, we could still get the installing sub-contractor to provide them - until he packed up and left. Guess he got tired of me and all my neighbors bugging him for repair parts.

Good Luck.

talenttim, thanks for the reply's. Your house is the same age as my house. These rail supports have been breaking within the first year I bought the house and Merillat would send me replacements, at no charge. But they changed the rails and stopped making the replacement supports. The last time I called them, they told me to buy their new rails for $32.00. a set, I have 10 drawer and the rails are in great condition, so I refuse to replace them.

Originally Posted by talenttim View Post
Is there any of the plastic part left that you could screw the rail to??
I have glued them and the last one I had to screw it together. But this one I'll try to make something out of wood like you had suggested and if that doesn't work I'll try the site that wirepuller posted:

Bainbridge Manufacturing Online Store Rear Sockets

Old 05-12-09, 09:21 AM
B
Thumbs up check this first...

Many homeowners have blind cabinets... those cabinets that are corner units that do not have lazy susans. Merrillat often put the brackets in these cabinets despite not needing them (no drawers). We were able to recover 4 brackets 2L 2R in a blind cabinet... this saved us some headaches. Check there first.

Old 07-09-09, 06:02 AM
A
how to remove

Biggfurnace, how did you remove the blind brackets without damaging the plastic wall anchor part that snaps through the hole in the wood to secure it? I am trying to lower my pull out shelves to accomodate files. Thanks!

Old 09-08-09, 10:02 AM
J
Originally Posted by Pacemaker View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I can seem to find the plastic replacement part that supports the rails for a merillat kitchen drawer. Can I make something to support the rails? Or is there place to buy the plastic rail support?
Home Depot sells a universal bracket that requires 4 screws to fasten it. They are cheap. The're not as easy to replace as the original parts, but if we can't get them it's an option. To install, place and hold in proper position (hold in place with hot glue or other method, then screw in).

Old 11-30-09, 11:19 AM
D
Merillat Roll-Out-Tray brackets

I've also replaced a number of these brackets over time as they have stress fractured and have discovered they can no longer be purchased. However, Masco now sells a very good replacement part. It worked like a charm and installed in 30 seconds (they even provided clear instructions). It's $15 for a new right and left bracket and you can reach Masco at 866-850-8557 to order the conversion kit.

The new integrated bracket and rail piece is much more sturdy and it snaps into the holes behind the current bracket. You simply pry the old bracket out from below with a screwdriver, push in the new rail, and screw the rail into place with a single screw. Done.

Good luck, Dan A.

Last edited by dandiy; 11-30-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 11:26 AM
B
Hey Folks,

I see this thread is a little old but I ran across this site looking for help with those brackets myself.
I tried something from Home Depot but it didn't work out and I brought them back.

Went to Lowes and found something that worked great. The piece that actually holds the rail was just a little long and required cutting less than a 1/4" off the edge with a hacksaw.
The part is made by Knape and Vogt MFG. Co. Part #1805-101WP
Just found it here for the same money ($3.27 for a pair) and here is a picture
https://www.hardwareworld.com/1805-1...t-p10KANB.aspx

Hope that helps someone!
BoB
gibsones335tdc(at)yahoo(dot)com

Old 10-03-10, 04:00 PM
F
Thank you BoB335!

I also was desperate to find brackets for my older Merillat cabinets. I did as BoB335 said and bought the Knape and Vogt MFG. Co. Part #1805-101WP at Lowes. They work great! I am going to be sure to stock up on them as I am sure other brackets will be breaking in the future and I want to be sure I have the parts on hand. Thank you again for the info!

Old 10-18-10, 07:29 PM
H
Merillat cabinet sliders

I purchased the brackets that Bob335 mentioned at Loews. I still need to cut off the end a little....I am hoping that it works. How do I get the old bracket off? It looks like it is just glued? Shocking...

This is my first bracket to break in 23 years! I was shocked to read about the previous poster that said he had many break just after the first year...My entire house has these cabinets!! Yikes! And they look brand new too! I am hoping this all works...i will let you know.
Thanks Bob335

Old 10-22-10, 07:42 PM
H
Merrillat drawer glide bracket

Help! I purchased the bracket at Lowe's. Cut off the end and made it work to be ready to install...I can't get the old bracket off the cabinet!?? It is glued so strong...I have gotten some of the pieces of the plastic off, but I can't get all of it? Very frustrating...anyone out there have any ideas? I can't attach the new bracket until I get all the plastic removed...almost done, except for this glitch

Old 10-27-10, 04:47 PM
Hello handy mom of 3,
It sounds like an easy job for a Dremel or any other rotary tool. I would use a cut off wheel. Or if you don't have a rotary tool they do sell cut off discs that will attach to your drill. Make sure you use eye protection since the cut off wheel are known to shatter if you put to much pressure on them. The first pic is the one that attaches to the drill and the other is the rotary tool attachment. I hope this helps. Sorry the pics are so big..

Old 04-05-12, 07:01 PM
C
Buy the replacement from Masco!!

My home was built in 1989 and two plastic pieces broke in the back where the rail attaches. Very poor design, but that's beside the point. I tried messing around with replacement pieces from Lowes and Home Depot. Don't waste your time! I went on the Merillat website and sent an email. They replied with a pdf file to order a replacement rail set from Masco for $15. (Just like diydan) Got it and installed it in 5 minutes! I wished I had done this from the beginning! It would've saved so much time and stress.

Old 05-03-13, 11:11 AM
C
Thanks to biggfurnace, I also recovered 2L & 2R brackets from a corner unit.
Check those corner units FIRST. You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-25-13, 04:40 PM
R
Ran into same problem. Saw the rails have screw holes in the sides. So I cut a 23" and 1x2 board, glued and screwed it to the interior cabinet wall, fastened the rail with 3 screws thru the 1x2 and cabinet sidewall (was dead space there; alternative would be to nut/bolt it with a low profile head). This removes the need for a rear support completely and required only a piece of wood scrap. Why didn't Merillat do it that way the 1st time?

Old 12-30-13, 12:11 PM
W
Rails

Why didn't Merillat do it that way the 1st time?
Adds construction cost. Also, must be precise to get proper rail alignment. The plastic rail support usually floats on a slot to allow automatic rail alignment when the drawer is closed,

Old 03-09-14, 10:43 AM
T
@ Carjeko

By any chance do you have the part number you ordered from Masco? I am in the same boat with older Merillat kitchen cabinet problem. Your help would be greatly appreciated. If you do not have the part number, could you forward the response from Merillat with the pdf file ? Thanks again !,

Old 09-15-14, 09:58 AM
J
UPDATE:

I called Masco today to get a rear support bracket, and they informed me that they do not have these separately anymore, but do offer a $15 replacement slider set. I'm still waiting to get mine to see how they fit.

It's almost comical how the failure of my bracket is IDENTICAL to the pictures I've seen here and online. Looks like we're at the end of the normal life for these guys.

John

Old 09-23-14, 05:34 AM
J
Fixed My Merillat Drawer

Went to Lowe's. Bought "Richelieu" BP99612, L and R in package with screws. The bad Merillat bracket does not appear to be glued in. I have a cabinet that opens front and back so I have a good view. If you want to remove the old backing (which I didn't) there is a screw around the side of the multi-piece bracket. Note, if you remove the entire support, you'll need to reinforce with wood. I simply pulled out the broken pieces that snap into 2 holes. I screwed the new bracket into the plastic piece still connected to the cabinet. Make pilot holes with drill. For now, I only used 2 screws in the adjustable slots on the brackets. There are more screw holes in new bracket, and I probably should put screws in all of the holes, but will need slightly longer screws because of a void in the plastic piece I'm attaching to. Price of the brackets was less than $3 a set. They look to be the same as the brackets being sold on the Swisco site, so if you don't have a Lowe's nearby - order the Swisco ones. Priced very reasonably.

This site was very helpful in getting me to this point. I read about how the brackets are glued on. I don't think that's true, but most would have trouble seeing that screw on the back rail of the cabinets because there's not much working space. Hopefully my luck of having a back door on my cabinet helps you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: