Spring-band style gate latch

Old 03-30-09, 08:58 AM
Spring-band style gate latch

I'm looking for a gate latch of the type I remember from farms I used to visit as a child: a simple curved metal strip attached to the end of the gate's outer stile. The strip has a handle (above) or pair of handles (one on each side) attached. The strike is simply a metal "hill" with a notch taken out of the peak. The gate can swing and engage the latch in the notch from either directions, alignment never goes off, and it self closes with a swing. Similar in operation to those "butterfly" latches for chain link fences, but suitable for wood frame gates.

I was surprised I couldn't find such a thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-09, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just looked at several pages and could not find what you want. I know what you are talking about thought I could find it anyplace but I guess it is to simple so they quit making them . Most likely any medal shop could make you one.

Old 05-08-09, 07:17 AM
Gate latch

I am looking for the same type of latch without any luck. I have old Sears kennel gates that have this type of latch and adding on to the kennel, but having to use chain link gates that will latch to a wood post. please let me know if you have found any

Old 05-08-09, 08:00 AM
Old 05-09-09, 06:21 AM
Thanks, but no. The first post on this lacch describes it best. It is a simple metal strip that latches into the strike on a wood post

Old 05-09-09, 11:07 AM
Latch

I think I now know what you are trying to find. This is close, but may not be exact.

Automatic Spring Gate Latch & Receivers - For Chain Link Fencing and Gates - Page 106 - Hoover Fence Co. - Chain Link Online Parts Catalog

Old 05-09-09, 05:46 PM
That's it. been looking everywhere. Thanks