hanging hammock from ceiling beam

Old 06-23-09, 11:40 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hanging hammock from ceiling beam

DIYers,

I have a hammock-chair that I'd like to hang from one of the beams in my apartment. The chair is pretty light so the weight would be that of a person. The apartment is very old and rustic, and there are exposed beams running up along the cathedral ceiling, as well as horizontal beams that hold up a lofted area. The beams are about 5.5 x 2.5 inches. I'm not sure which area I'd like to put the chair in yet.

I read about porch swings, the closest topic I could find, and it looks like they are commonly hung with a simple eye bolt screwed into the wood. I'm not crazy about hanging by screw threads though, especially if I use a ceiling beam and the eye bolt is at some weird angle. Perhaps this is being paranoid?

What about this method I thought of:
Drill a horizontal hole through the beam.
Plain metal bolt through the hole, protruding on both ends.
A very short length of chain on each end, followed by nuts or something to keep the chains from sliding off.
The chains meet below the beam - put the hook of the chair through them.

This seems more secure (as long as the chains are secured from slipping off) since the weight is distributed horizontally over the beam? Also, there are existing holes I might be able to use to try this out.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your method is right on with the through bolt and chain. BUT, this is an apartment, and you can't make any modifications without the written consent of the landlord, so get that first. After you get permission, I would use at least a 1/2" rod as a through piece. with fender washers against the beams, and away from the chain with nuts holding it all together.

Old 06-24-09, 10:15 PM
A
Thanks!

I suppose it would not matter whether the middle of the rod/bolt were threaded, although I need threads on the ends anyway. I'm wondering how important it is for the bolt to be snug in the wood - maybe it would eat through over time if it were loose.

Old 06-25-09, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most of your pressure will be vertical, so, unless you get wild in it, you should have no problems with sway. Remember the fender washers or a metal plate with a hole drilled in it will go next to the wood to keep the chain from eating into the wood.

Old 06-25-09, 11:56 AM
A
OK, thanks for the advice! The internet is a wonderful thing.

Old 06-25-09, 12:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The hole should be at least in the middle of the beam. I might put it a bit higher. You want plenty of wood under the hole for strength.