Where to Buy Fasteners?

Old 07-03-09, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
HD or Lowe's generally; online & by catalog at Rockler.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-09, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Unless you are looking for specialty fasteners, buy locally. Like TG said, Rocklers has a good supply of the specialty stuff. The weight of fasteners will adversely affect shipping charges and make them more expensive. I do watch Ebay for special deals, that, when combined with shipping is viable and cheaper than local, but it is a rarity.

Old 07-03-09, 08:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a hardware store in your area with a fastener assortment from Midwest Fastener,which is regional and serves independents,they have great assortments,much better than Hillman,another well known name.

Old 07-03-09, 09:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Watch out for prices. Back when I was doing home repair I went through a lot of sheet rock screws. I used them for many things. I bought them at both a lumber yard and Home depot. What I bought from each place was identical from the same manufacturer. One day I was shocked to see the price at Home Depot had doubled. I asked them to check but they insisted that was the correct price.

At first I thought it must have been a major price increase by the manufacturer. I expected to soon see a major increase in price at the lumber yard but no three years later still no increase. Other non-chain retail sources remained almost half of Home Depot's prices. No I'm not talking about deck screws. Just plain Sheetrock screws.

Old 07-03-09, 09:49 AM
S
What you encountered is,in varied ways,typical at retail especially where there is a competitive pricing pressure.Low prices on some items or categories has to be offset somewhere else.Generally that is done with items not normally known to be discounted or for having the pricing paid attention to.If there is fallout then they simply try something else.I've walked a number of big box or discount retailers and because I know what I'm seeing I see pricing at or above MSRP and/or generally accepted retail very often in low interest or lesser attention items and categories.Never forget that businesses like HD are ultimately beholding to stockholders.That means they must create returns on investment which means strategies like selective pricing are common.It's not just about volume purchasing lowering costs and specific manufacturing to meet price points,though those too are common strategies.

Old 02-06-10, 09:22 AM
The Bolt Depot is a good source. I don't know whether they have the best prices, but they sell small and bulk quantities.

Many times all I need is a few pieces, not a box of 100 or more.

Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online

Old 02-06-10, 10:42 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Fasteners

McFeelys............................................

Old 02-06-10, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That sounds like a strip club....lol

Old 02-06-10, 12:25 PM
W
Nuts and Bolts

It is not. Do not be afraid to check it out. Have a good day.

Old 02-06-10, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Gosh....I hope you know I was kidding! I have actually heard of them, but never did any business.

btw...are you folks getting hammered like the Mid atlantic? Haven't seen marksr on either.

Old 02-06-10, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 208 Votes on 185 Posts
The name says it all ---> Fastenal I think they are all over.

Old 02-07-10, 11:34 AM
W
Fasteners

GG45, I knew you were kidding. I just wanted to set the record straight for any innocent observers.

We escaped this storm. It is cloudy with occasional sleet with temps in mid 30's. The real storm stayed on the east side of the mountains.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 02-07-10 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Additional info.