Fasteners for concrete ceiling

Old 07-09-09, 10:40 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fasteners for concrete ceiling

Hi,

We have a project whereby we need to attach short lengths of angle iron (6 inches or so) to an overhead concrete ceiling in a building. There will be no electricity available so we thought about using a powder actuated gun to drive anchors into the ceiling.

The angle iron will be used to string some very lightweight signs overhead that will be attached to wire rope. The total suspended weight per each piece of angle iron will be less than 15 lbs.

Are the powder actualted guns the way go here or is there something better? The guns we looked at from Hilti were exspensive--does anyone have any other ideas?

The impact drivers I don't think will work here since it's all over head and we'll be working from a lift.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-09, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I would opt for Tapcon screws (the blue ones). Use their bit and drive them slowly.

Old 07-09-09, 07:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There will be no electricity available
And that is when I explained to the customer the extra daily charge for a generator.

Old 07-09-09, 10:19 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't use Tapcon anchors...

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
And that is when I explained to the customer the extra daily charge for a generator.
"Blue screws" would have been my first choice but it's a food raw materials warehouse and there can't be concrete chips in the products.

I went ahead and got a Remington nail gun and will test it out tomorrow. I'll post results...thanks

Old 07-09-09, 11:31 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My experience with Remington single shot hammer drive 22 nailers have been that sometimes chunks of concrete fly out sometimes. Maybe the trigger drivers work better

Old 07-10-09, 05:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Whoa! I agree with Ray. Gee, why not remove the food product from the area, as is required by ANY health department, do your work, and clean it back up so the product can be replaced.
Drill a hole in the bottom of a dixie cup, run the bit into the concrete. The dixie cup will catch 90% of the dust.