Mounting heavy artwork over bed

Old 08-06-09, 07:02 PM
Mounting heavy artwork over bed

I have this metal piece of art I need to mount over a bed. It weighs almost 7lbs. If it ever fell it could seriously injure the person below it.

It has two mounting brackets attached to it with spots for screws to slip into.

The room where it is to be mounted is drywall, covered in plaster, covered in drywall. yes 3 layers. its almost an inch thick. I know this because I installed some ethernet/phone/coax lines in the room. Finding studs is difficult, and I don't think there are any where I want to mount it.

7lbs seems light enough to mount just into the wall (no stud). Which type of mounting device should I use?

I was thinking of using toggle bolts. they apparently are the strongest type, and considering I have nearly a 1 inch thick wall to work with, there shouldnt be any problem. Its probobly overkill. Agreed?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-09, 07:33 PM
there are special fasteners that simply screw right into the wall. and then a regular machine goes into them. they come as a set. but i can't remember what they are called
but they have a heavy thread, and a built in drill bit. they hold a lot of weight.

someone will come along are tell what they are.

Old 08-06-09, 08:12 PM
I ended up using the toggle bolts. worked pretty well, aside from having to drill a 3/4" hole in the wall. but hey at least you cant see it.

Old 08-07-09, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Condo, I believe you may be referring to "EZ Anchors". They have a 90 lb rating on vertical pull in sheetrock. Use them all the time.