Attaching Permanent Workbench to Crawlspace Wall

Old 08-08-09, 08:23 PM
Attaching Permanent Workbench to Crawlspace Wall

Hello All,

I am working on bill of materials for building and attaching (permanently) a wooden workbench to a concrete block wall (w/ face brick). The benchtop will be 8' x 3', and I plan to frame it out of 2'x4' with a 3/4" plywood insert as the top. I will be attaching the top to the walls on two sides and then supporting with legs down onto a concrete pad. My plan is to attach the 2x4 directly to the wall and then attach a lip to this to support the plywood top.

My wall is built of 4"x8" concrete block attached to the back of brick. What is the best type (size and length) of fastener to attach the 2x4s to the block wall

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 07:48 AM
Well I'd use tapcons of a length long enough to pass through the wood and go in about 3/4 - 1 inch.

If what you really have is cinderblock anchor only in the mortar joints.

Tapcons are a masonry screw designed to screw directly into masonry with no anchor.A specific bit is used to drill the holes.

Old 08-28-09, 07:09 PM
Around our place we use Ramset anchors. (We have no financial interest in this.) Don't know if the situations are the same as yours, though. You might google for Ramset. Anchors should be available at big-box and other hardware stores.

Here's a video:

YouTube - Ramset - Masonry Anchors