screws for door hinge

Old 08-28-09, 08:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
screws for door hinge

What size flat-head slotted screws are used in a door hinge?

The type I'm referring to is a full-mortise 3-1/2" hinge.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 217 Votes on 192 Posts
I can't tell you the size but I can tell your Home Depot carries the screws you need next to where the hinges are sold. I just bought some the other day.

Old 08-28-09, 09:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Also you do not want wood screws. You want sheet metal screws. A wood screw has an un-threaded shoulder. You need screws threaded all the way to the head. #8 unless the holes are wallowed out.

Old 08-29-09, 07:07 AM
S
Take the hinge to a hardware store and match the screws to it.They are not all the same size.I've seen 8 and 10.Also it doesn't have to be slotted.Many come with phillips.

Agree with sheet metal,this is equivalent to what they come with.Brass plated is fine but not solid brass as they are softer metal.

Old 08-29-09, 09:15 AM
T
Are there sheet metal screws in the plated brass finish?

Even though they're a pain to put in, I do want slotted screws as this is a period-styled house.

If we get screws long enough to thread into the studs, not just the jamb, will solid brass screws do?

Last edited by tiquose; 08-29-09 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-29-09, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You have to be carefull with the large brass screws, easy to snap or bugger up the slot. You absolutely need to predrill to the correct size and depth and lube the threads with soap or a candle.

Sometimes its better to run a steel screw in first to sort of tap the threads in the wood, then install the brass screw.

Old 08-29-09, 10:15 AM
S
Better hardware stores with large fastener assortments will have some brass plated sheet metal screws but it will be tough to find them slotted.You may need to search online and look for sites that deal in reproduction/period/antique home items such as sites that sell antique design locks,door hardware etc. or in fasteners.

as GG said you want to be very carefull working with longer solid brass screws in hard wood etc,pre drill for sure.You will also have some trouble finding these in slotted as phillips is less likely to be an issue in the softer metal.

One last thought is you may want to consider using steel screws and dabbing some brass paint on them."Leaf" finishes are around,in craft stores and so forth,and by using steel you have a far stronger screw that's far easier to find but will look like your hinges.Once installed a little dab of brass frinish would probably look fine.The leaf products and other similar paints come in antique brass,brass,antique gold so you can likely find a match.

Old 08-29-09, 11:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You can sometimes even tap the hole with a phillips or better yet hex head with the same thread pitch then use the slotted..

Old 08-29-09, 01:59 PM
T
Thanks for all the great ideas!