connecting 8" lengths of lumber units temporarily

Old 09-29-09, 12:52 PM

I am building a movable bocce court 12' x 72' using a model built several years ago.

The original builder used a heavy duty buckle type snap connector out of what appears to be steel.

I went to Home Depot & Lowes and could find only brass oblong catches which broke the first time we put the unit together.

I searched on-line under " wood connectors", "buckles", "snap connectors", "oblong catches" and other combinations, but came up empty handed.

Would anyone have a suggestion where I could look or even a name I could search on.

Thanks
Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Robert, welcome to the forums! I have read this post many times, in hopes someone else would be able to help. Clarify the size of the pieces. Are they only 8" long?? I am just concerned about the flexibility of this unit with such short lumber. You can use large trunk fasteners, which are about 4" long and snap shut once you latch them.

Old 10-05-09, 02:40 PM

From what I have seen they may have been 8' long lengths of heavy square timbers to roughly outline the lanes of the Bocci/Bocce ball court on the grass. They set them out in the spring and took them in when the snow got too deep.

I will look closer the next time I visit the local "real" Italian restaurant. - They take it very seriously!

Dick

Old 10-05-09, 03:56 PM
bocce court connections

Hi Chandler -- thanks for your response.
Sorry - a typo. The units are 8 feet in length. I placed the original buckles across short butted lengths of 2x4's -- one piece 4 inches inset 4 inches on the left end and an 8 inch piece overhanging on the right. When connected, the longer piece of 2x4 meets the short piece, meshing in a slot formed between the back board and a piece of 2x2 attached to the short 2x4. A crude drawing follows which lost perspective -- sorry.

________________ _______________
___ ___________
| | < | |
| | < | |

Where can these large trunk fasteners be purchased? I tried using the buckle latches from Home Depot, but most lasted exactly once (when the court was taken down the first time).

Thanks again for your help
Bob

Last edited by robert2003; 10-05-09 at 04:00 PM. Reason: drawing lost perspective
Old 10-05-09, 04:02 PM
Hey Dick
Thanks for your reply.
You are absolutely right -- they are serious players.
The reason it has to be portable is that in Florida it gets a might warmish in the summer and we can set the court up in a red center gym. Unfortunately, we can have it set up only in the AM since they play basketball in the afternoon.
Thanks again.
Bob

Old 10-05-09, 04:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And they let you throw those balls on the hardwood court??? My old college basketball coach would croak. I'll have to make a road trip to my shop to look at the brand and get back to you.

Old 10-06-09, 05:27 PM
floor -- not as it seems

Hi Chandler

The floor is a rubberized tile construction, not hardwood.

Wood would probably swell and buckle in our humidity.

Bob

Old 10-13-09, 06:26 AM
good morning Chandler
Hate to be a bother, but have you gat a source for the trunk latches you mentioned in your reply to me?
Thanks in advance
Robert

Old 10-13-09, 07:41 AM
Another alternative would be the latches used to hold table leaves together. They're fairly heavy and readily available.

Old 10-13-09, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, George.
I'll go online and do some research, then check Home Depot/Lowes & Ace.
Robert