Hinge and Door Placement Problem

Old 10-01-09, 11:47 AM
Question Hinge and Door Placement Problem

In my house I have an unfortunate situation where the floor covering transitions dead center between the door jambs. Specifically, I have ceramic tile transitioning to hardwood and the transition line is past the door.

The walls are 2X4 with drywall.

I'm installing a new door in this doorway and was wondering if there is there any way to set the hinges, door and latch such that the door covers this unsightly transition line rather than setting it at the edge of the door jamb as you would normally do?

There isn't room in the wall for a pocket door, I've looked at double acting hinges, an extended strike plate but I'm really not sure if it's feasible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by North9ON; 10-01-09 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-09, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Aside from changing the swing of the door, I doubt you will be able to move the hinges enough to cover the transition.

Old 10-02-09, 09:26 AM
Pivot Set

There may be solution! I understand that there are pivot style door hinges that can be used in a double action and single action door application.

Example Rixson Pivot Set 128-3/4.

Any reservations about this kind of a solution?

Thanks again.

Brian.

Last edited by North9ON; 10-02-09 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-02-09, 02:46 PM
Where will you place your door stop molding? If you move the door too far back it won't leave room for stop molding and will look really goofy.

Old 10-02-09, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Thats the kind of hinge used for things like kitchen doors in restaurants. Looks like a good product..just not for this application. You will normally need a pretty big gap at the top, bottom and sides as well. It will swing both ways and just not look good

Why not just find a nice wood (that matches your flooring) or marble transition. You could always cut the tile back with a grinder if you need more room.

Old 10-05-09, 09:55 AM
Clarification

The problem I have is that roughly 1" of the hardwood from the bedroom shows in the hallway with the door placed at its usual location. The tile and hardwood are flush at the transition.

As it stands, I only need to inset the door about 1" to solve the problem. So I thought I could still install the door stop without it looking odd.

The other issue I see with insetting the door is that I need an extended strike plate for the door knob set.

Maybe I should just accept the situation and follow the normal door installation practices.

Old 10-05-09, 02:12 PM
I think you have bigger fish to fry than this one, don't you? I would "accept" it and move to the next project. Probably 1 out of 100 people that visit your house would ever see it, let alone know it wasn't supposed to be that way.