Best way to secure two aluminum basketball poles together

Old 12-31-09, 04:13 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to secure two aluminum basketball poles together

I just finished putting together an in-ground basketball system and everything is great except there is a slight bit of "play" from front to back where one of the sections of pole overlaps another...supposedly they are supposed to be made to be a tight fit but somehow mine is not...there is about 4 inches of overlap where I would like to secure the poles together so they do not "shake"...

The problem is I have no idea how I should go about doing it...what type of screw/bolt, how many, from what angle...the poles are aluminum I believe...

The "play" between the two poles does not create safety concerns - just that it creates a resting position that is not plumb vertically...

Old 12-31-09, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You could use 3/8" carriage bolts set at 90 degree angles to each other and a couple of inches apart vertically. Find a way of either grinding the sharp edges off the end of the bolt and the nut so it won't cut someone when they rub up against it.

Old 01-01-10, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 54 Posts
Could also drill a through hole in the outer pole and a threaded hole in the inner and run a bolt in possibly in a couple of places. This requires more tools (a tap to thread the hole) than chandler's method which would only require a drill.

Old 01-01-10, 09:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My concern with the bolt straight through if the fit between the posts isn't tight it could rock a bit despite the bolt because the bolt won't grip the inner post. Instead of tapping though I'd suggest three self-tapping 1/4" or 3/8" hex-head metal screws, maybe two rows of three screws evenly spaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: