Plastic screw anchor slipping

Old 02-26-10, 01:49 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Plastic screw anchor slipping

I'm hanging something from a plaster ceiling with 4 screw eyes. Two are in a stud, but the other two have to be in the plaster. I got large enough plastic anchors (the type that knot at the top) and used 1 successfully.

Problem: the second anchor is slipping as the screw gets tight. I tried removing the screw and anchor and patching the hole with joint compound. However, when I drilled a fresh hole, tapped the anchor in, and threaded the screw up, it did the same thing, twisting the anchor in the hole along with the screw.

I'd simply use a toggle bolt instead, but I need an eyelet on the screw to match the other 3 screws and the screw eye I have is a wood screw and not a machine screw.

What else might work? Please help!

Old 02-26-10, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well..they make machine screw eyes also....you should be able to match it for about $.89 for 2....

For an overhead install..lightweight of course..I'd use toggles....

Old 02-27-10, 02:33 PM
R
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
Put a drop of oil on the threads before screwing it in....that will decrease the torque on the anchor. Also, using a different brand/design anchor of the same size, perhaps of a softer plastic might do the trick.

Old 02-28-10, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
If it is the type of anchor I am thinking you have it is the wrong type.
That anchor is not meant for a pulling force.............it is meant for a shear load that is 90 deg to the direction of the screw.

Here are different anchors.
The threaded one is ok for light overhead loads.

Click image:

Image courtesy of renoheadquarters.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: