Articulating Mount TV with Metal Studs?

Old 06-07-10, 08:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Articulating Mount TV with Metal Studs?

Hi all, I know this has been discussed but this is my concern. Best Buy and HHGreg have both told me that they will not guarantee the install I would like to do and that it could probably not be done by a traditional mount job.

This is what I'm trying to do. I have a 46 inch LED TV. I want to mount it using an articulating (swivel) Chief mount. My condo has metal studs.

I've read other threads that generally say that such a mount is possible. For such a mount, will toggle bolts really do the trick? Will I have to do a non-traditional mount?

Best Buy and HHGreg were both concerned with the fact that I was trying to do an articulating mount with metal studs.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 06-08-10, 12:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
I think toggle bolts will hold if you get them through the stud. The stud has the strength but the metal is just too thin for the threads of a traditional screw to get a sufficient grip. If concerned you could use some wood to bridge across two studs. That way you have spread the load across two studs and you can use whatever size wood you want and install fasteners into the wall until you are satisfied.

Old 06-08-10, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
I work on commercial spaces a lot. (metal studs 2' OC and 5/8 drywall) Whenever mounting a tv to the wall the framers always install 3/4" plywood for backing between the metal studs and then 5/8" drywall over that. When installing for an even larger tv they ran the 3/4" plywood floor to ceiling. Even with toggles I think an articulating mount would rip the toggles out. I would open the wall and install plywood or wood framing (2x material) for backing. Depending on the type of building, any wood framing might need to be fire treated. Opening the wall would also allow you to install the cabling/raceway and power for the tv.

Old 06-09-10, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
I am curious. What is the problem with metal studs? Do they twist more than a wood stud? Are most steel studs non structural, used just for partition walls?

Old 06-09-10, 11:40 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I got the articulating mount today (Chief Dual Arm PDR) and it is really heavy. Probably 70 pounds when in the folded position alone, more like 90 pounds when extended. That is without the TV.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but how would you go about installing the wood into the stud? I'm a novice and might need more detailed instructions than most.

Would it be enough to nail 2x4s into the hollow part of the metal stud or should I put plywood between the studs and the drywall? I guess while I have the walls open I could do both.

The upside is that the mount is big enough to get to two studs. I am thinking about having a professional take a look.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's much appreciated. Don't want to see my new baby on the floor when I get home one day.

Old 06-09-10, 01:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
I am curious. What is the problem with metal studs? Do they twist more than a wood stud?
Yes.
Are most steel studs non structural, used just for partition walls?
Yes. Very thin steel. You be lucky to get half a thread with screws.

Old 06-09-10, 01:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I don't know if this has been addressed, but how would you go about installing the wood into the stud?
Bolt 2X2s vertically to the metal studs an 1-5/8 back from the face of the studs. Then lag screw or bolt a 2X12 horizontally to the 2X2s. Resheetrock. Use lag screws through the bracket into the 2X12 under the sheet rock.

Given the weight I would bolt the 2X12 to the 2X2s. To do that you would insert the bolts into the 2X2s and fasten with a T-nut before installing the 2X2. You could also use pre-installed Tnuts in the 2X12 to fasten the support. Use the type of T-nut that has holes in the face for screws. Also make the 2X2s full height. It will strengthen the metal stud and transfer some of the weight to the floor. If you want to minimize the amount of Sheetrock removed use togle bolts for the 2X2s.

Note: With a little imagination you may be able to use Unistrut instead of wood but wood is probably easier to work with.

Edit: The more I think about it the more I like substituting unistrut chanel for the 2X2. Make it 12" shorter then total height and you can slide the 2X12 down the channels after the unistrut is bolted in place. Secure the 2X12 at the proper height with screws. You would need to grove the 2X12 to accomidate the curled lip of the unistrut though.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-09-10 at 02:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: