One-LED light brighter than 5-LED light!

Old 08-08-10, 01:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One-LED light brighter than 5-LED light!

I just bought a real nice 1.5v twin AAA battery penlight. Wow, is that thing bright!. It easily outshines my 3v twin CR2032 coin battery 5-LED cap light, even when all 5 lights are on - by far!

And another oddity about this is, even with the cap light - when all 5 are turned on - it is not much brighter than if you just turn on 1 LED light.

(The diameter of the penlight LED lens is exactly the same size as the cap light.)

Also, the twin coin batteries test at 3.05 volts, in case you think they may be weak. And get this: My light outshines my friends brand new/brand new batteries 9- LED flashlight!!!!

Last edited by ecman51; 08-08-10 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-10, 04:59 PM
I guess it is directly dependent on the output of the led's. I found one for my 2 cell Maglight, and it is certainly much brighter than any other light I have had.

Old 08-10-10, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, they keep developing brighter and brighter LED's. What used to take a cluster of LED's can now be done with one high powered one. 3 watt LED's are common and I've seen a few 5 watt ones. They are even starting to use LED's for the landing lights and strobes on airplanes.

----
The light perceives brightness in a slightly odd way. It will see the peak brightness but does not really "average out" the light it receives. Some LED's are pulsed on/off very quickly. If the LED can handle 1 watt continuously (often limited by heat) it can be turned on/off quickly hitting it with higher (2 watts for example) 50% of the time, then turn it off 50% of the time to cool. Just like an old fashioned picture tube TV the eye cannot see the flicker but it registers the bright light when it's on. Even though the LED is only on for half the time the eye sees it as a bright 2 watt light so with some electronics you can really get a bright light in a small package.

Old 08-10-10, 05:53 PM
Interesting. So where is the 'brain' for this located, allowing the LED to turn itself on and off quicker than you can perceive it?

What is also phenomonal is the fact that with all that extra brightness, the package it came in says it delivers 100 hours of brightness! A case of having your cake and eating it too?

Old 08-11-10, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Years ago I made some lights for my pinball machines and used an external circuit to pulse the LED's but I assume now they have the circuit built into the LED. If you get bored, this company is the OEM that makes most hight output LED's. The last time I checked their site they only sold to OEM's but now it looks like they do some retail though the prices are a bit scary.