Help on deck anchoring

Old 08-13-10, 06:28 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help on deck anchoring

1st question; I have a 5 year old screened in lanai and have noticed the 1/4 " Tapcons anchoring the 1 1/2" aluminum frame to the concrete deck are rusting off (in half) inside the frame. I would like to change them out with something that will not have to be replaced as often, any ideas?

2nd question; I’m not going to be able to remove the rusted off Tapcons so when I drill down on the old Tapcon piece the bit will hopefully run down alongside the rusted piece and into concrete. Is that a problem? I would just as soon not drill a lot of extra holes in the base frame.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Old 08-13-10, 09:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
I would move several inches away and drill a new hole to install new fasteners. If you drill right next to the old fastener you will not get a strong grip in the concrete.

Stainless steel anchors glued into the concrete should last longer than the steel Tapcons but are more expensive and technical to install. Basically you drill a over sized hole, clean it and inject epoxy into the hole, insert the anchor and let it cure for the proper time. It is not difficult but it is important to follow the manufacturers instructions. The epoxy is not cheap but one cartridge could probably do your whole lanai.

Old 08-13-10, 11:05 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure what you’ve got but my aluminum frame rail sits atop the concrete, and vertical posts sits atop the frame rail. For me, it would be easier to replace each section of aluminum frame, and then use a different hole pattern going into concrete. Otherwise the abandoned existing holes would be unsightly, and have rust stained the white aluminum.

You should look at Powers Wedge-Bolts to see if it would work in your application. They have 1/4” but only one length at 1-3/4”. Suggest using 410 SS {see pages 2 & 16; #7701N; http://www.powers.com/pdfs/mechanical/07246OTSS.pdf}. Make sure you account for head size on bolt to assure it fits properly as considerably larger than Tapcon head.

They’re easy to install but require a special concrete drill bit . . . the bolt is slightly oversized relative to nominal dimension, and keep that in mind when drilling whatever will anchor your frame to concrete.

I especially like the ability to unscrew them and re-screw them back into concrete giving flexibility not afforded by other concrete anchors. They’re a bit pricy and can be hard to find . . . recently found a good assortment at my local Ace Hardware store although about 25% higher cost than at an independent building supply store if buying by the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: